• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Sucker

seen that you guys touched a little on this in the pickled thread, but just bought a smoker and tried it out on crappies, and after a few tries got something quite tasty. now have some aprox. 2 to 2 1/2 lb suckers brining. on a side note, my 4 year old son and i had an absolute blast netting these today. have never smoked fish this thick yet and would appreciate any input or advice. keep in mind i am very new to the smoking process! time? temp? ???

Step 1

Brine your fish with this basic brine solution:

* 1/2 cup non-iodized salt

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 1 quart water

Stir until completely dissolved

Place fish in the solution, being careful to insure that the fish is completely covered with the brine and place in the refrigerator.

Thick chunks of 1" or more should be in brine 8 to 12 hours.

Thin chunks of less than 1" 6 to 8 hours is sufficient.

Step 2

Remove fish from brine and rinse each piece under cold water.

Gently pat dry and lay pieces on paper towel to air dry for one hour.

(After one hour you will notice the fish has a glazed film on it. This is called the Pellicle which is a normal and desired result of the brining process). When the fish is sticky to the touch it is ready.

Step 3

Smoke fish for about 2 hours at 200 F.

Use your favorite wood chips or chunks when smoking and experiment to find the taste that best suits your taste. Hickory, Alder, Apple and Cherry or combinations of these work well.

Add wood chips about every 30 minutes

Letting them glaze over is VERY important! It will e kind of sticky when it is right. I smoked up so much redhorse this year it was crazy I smoked many batches and started before. noon and went til well after midnight. I had a fishing gathering and there ws very little left. Sometimes simple is best. Also because of food allergies in my family I do not like to have certain foods in my smoker.