• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota suddenly stopped working, circuit breaker?

Smokey

I have a MinnKota PowerDrive 65 from about 1999. Was out Saturday trolling around with it for about an hour or so going very slow. Just for kicks I slid the speed control to the max, the motor ran up to speed and then after about a half-second I heard a little thunk or clunk and the motor was dead. Not even a glimmer on the LED battery charge indicator, and it should have been reading almost full charge. I double checked the power cord and breakers by the batteries, they were fine. This morning I measured at the socket and had 24 volts, so I'm fairly sure that the problem is in the motor.

Does this model have an internal circuit breaker or fuse that may have popped?

That happened to me a few months ago and it was the the little breaker coming off the battery. In addition to checking the battery charge itself, also check the voltage on the wires or plug that you plug the trolling motor into. If there is no charge, then it is probably a problem with the wires or breaker on the wires.

I guess I was a bit tired and didn't proof read what I wrote last night. I did check the voltage right at the socket that the trolling motor plugs into, and had 12 and 24 volts there, it is a 3 wire socket.

I'm still thinking that it's internal to the motor itself. I took the plastic cover off where the cables go into the base unit of the motor, but saw nothing that looked like a fuse or breaker, and the whole think is potted in plastic.

I smell money being spent.

Nothing smelled or looked burnt when I took the cover off. MM, that's a good thought, but I did try plugging the motor back in the next morning after checking with the voltmeter, and the charge indicator LEDs on the motor still would not light up.

I'm taking it in to a repair shop today.