• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow fishing start up.

Hey everyone this is my first time actually in the bow fishing room. Im interested in getting into this sport and wonder what all I would need to purchase. I have an older bow I could mount stuff on, also i have seen at scheels like a kit that comes with a reel and a arrow and stuff just wondering what all Ill exactly need and a rough estamate how much $$ where talking to get set up with basic gear for just day time shooting.

Also Im not sure, but seems to me i remeber hearing people say to aim like 2" below the fish or something like that is that true?

Thanks in advance

the best thing i can recommend is try to meet somebody who is experienced and check out the gear in action. some guys prefer recurve bows, while some just use their deer hunting bows. some use zebco style reels, while others prefer the bottle reel setup, or just a spool. i have 3 different bows, and they are all setup different. 2 compounds, 1 45 lb short draw for quick shallow shooting; 1 60 lb draw setup for deeper water shooting, using a full draw length and release; and a recurve with just a spool on it for backup. its an addicting sport, with a lot of new high quality gear hitting the market the past 5 years.

A couple of years ago i run across a jennings at a pawn shop for 45 bucks. Its a compound set at 70#. I have an AMS bottle on it with 200# test. I use the cheap arrows from Fleet farm, the fletching always falls off but the drag of the line keeps me straight. Got a roller rest to set on. After 15 years muzzy heads are the best, they are hardened and easy to sharpen plus they are easy to replace. All total i have about 125 buck tied up, but i got my reel when i started. I also prefer a compound cause there are times when i have to wait for the shot. It's kind of funny watching them try to swim away when they are anchored to the bottom of the lake by an arrow.

I got the AMS retreiver Pro bowfishing kit, came with the reel, 200lb line. 2 arrows, a wave rest. and a DVD.

i got my bow when i was down in brownsville earlier in the year. i was fishing with a guy, and he had a bow laying around that he cant use anymore (bad knees) and he sold it to me for $10!