• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie builder

what blank are you using? do some reasearch at mudhole or various

batson has a guide spacing chart available on line at Batson Enterprises.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Buy yourself the book by Tom Kirkman, Rod Building Guide. Lots of good information in there for the beginning builder. You can also do a search on this forum or other rod building forums to get opinions regarding the different aspects of building rods.

Welcome to Hotspotoutdoors Laughterin.

Smooth flat finish on wraps? I start out warming the epoxy, then mix/fold it slowly for a couple minutes to keep bubbles to a minimum. I put the epoxy on the wraps with a brush but more of a transfer device, I don't really brush it as much as gob it on and use the brush to kinda move it where I want it. I od have a turner/dryer, but the first hour I turn it by hand and allow it to sag a little and wick off the spots where it looks uneven. That allows the epoxy's self leveling properties to do there thing.--

I like to use 30 minute epoxy for the reel seat and cork. I keep some rubbing alcohol nearby to clean things up. Way back I just used waterproof wood glue, I have a 25 year old fly rod that I beat to death steelhead fishing that I did that way that is still holding up, I wouldn't do that today, but heck it worked.

I like to have the first guide/stripper about 24/25 inches from the center of the reel seat depending on the blank, that is for a spinning rod.

Both Batson Enterprise and St. Croix have good guide spacing charts on their websites.

Look up guide spacing online and you'll find all you need. Also, look up rod-building online and you'll find a wealth of information about glue, thread, wrapping and everything else associated with rod-building.

Never made much money building rods, but after 25 years and probably several hundred completed rods, I own maybe 20 high-end custom built rods I use for everything from sunnies to muskies, fly to 9' spinning rods. Feels darn good to know the rods I build for others catch fish too - a great hobby to work into.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info. I bought a kit from mudhole as a starter. 6' light action split grip. I have a home made wrapper that seems to work fine. I have messed around on an old rod wrapping and finishing guides. Where do you buy the 30 min epoxy for the reel seat and do I use it on the cork as well? Also, is a 6rpm motor efficient for drying?

You should be able to find the 30 min epoxy at almost any hardware type store. I get mine at the local fleet supply store up here. I use the same epoxy to attach the cork also.

6 rpm motor should be perfect for a dryer. Mine is 18 rpm and I wish it was bit slower.

Here is a post I put together a while back that show some of the equipment that I use.

Supplies and equipment

I notice the blank I have has a bend in it. But the spine is not aligned with it. So how should I build on it. Also, are there any pics around of a static test setup? Is there an equation as far as grip size to the length of the arm or how do I choose for the proper fit and balance?

Best bet is to build along the straightest axis. If you are building a spinning rod put the guides on the bottom of where it curves up. Rare is a completely true blank.

Rule of thumb for the butt end would be from where your wrist to the inside of you elbow, no longer or it gets a bit tiring. I would go a bit longer on a rod where you plan on doing a lot of 2 handed casting.