• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

broken rod blank

Well, somehow my St Croix Legend ML rod broke about 2 ft from the tip top. Its not broke off but in like splinters but still connected. The splintered area is about 1.5 inches long.

Is there any type of a sleeve I could epoxy to it to save the blank.

Spendy rod and I would like to save it if at all possible.

Its used for slip bobber fishing for crappies and once in awhile for eyes.

Thanks for any help.

I agree with Jim, I would try to warranty it. But if that doesn't work you can put a sleeve on it. It will have a stiff spot but it would still work. Best thing to do is to find a an old scrap rod and cut a piece that would fit similar to the ferrule and slip it over both ends and epoxy it in place. They you want to wrap the whole thing like you would a ferule to support it and keep it from splintering. Any further down the blank I don't think it would work out well. You will have clean up the splintered stuff a bit tho.

I talked to another fellow who has built rods for years and he said from what I explained to him, the rod broke in the transition area of the blank as the splinters were a good sign of a defective rod.

Hopefully St croix will agree. Its a very nice rod.

Well,not only is St Croix's warranty good, but fast. I sent it in last Wednesday and received my new rod today.

Now that is service. Its nice to see a company stand behind their product and have lightning fast service also.

I had a slightly different outcome with St. Croix. I didn't know how my rod started splitting, probably my fault I suppose; figured I'd send it in with a check for $20 and see what they, the experts, thought. We'll, I sent it in via fedex using their subsidized shipping deal so they got it last Friday. This morning I opened a letter saying that it wasn't covered under warranty, if I wanted a new rod they would be so gracious as to let me get a replacement for $50 more dollars. Fine, they don't want me as a friend. So I call and ask why it isn't merely $30 dollars more, basically the difference between the silver and gold warranty plan?? They said it was a charge for storage! Yeah, better keep that rod with a cracked tip and wonky handle in case I want it back. cry So I done learned my lesson; better not risk getting a qualified opinion on a busted St. Croix product, just pay the $50 and say yes I'm a rod breaker..! smile

I much prefer how G. Loomis handles my slack, however I'm completely in love with St. Croix products smilesmilesmirk