• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Older Mantis-tines don't turn

Huskie

I picked up a used Mantis tiller, 2 cycle a few years back, probably late 80 or early 90's model. It worked ok last year, now it will run but the tines don't turn. had a friend who has some experience in small engines lok at it, couldn't help. Any ideas or is it time for it to go to the garden in the sky!!! And look for a new one--I hate weeding!!!

If the tines won't turn when you press the throttle, it means the engine isn't sitting all the way down on the worm-gear housing.

The flange bolt may (Probably has) have come loose and the engine lifted up. You'll notice a gap between the bottom of the engine flange and the top of the worm gear housing. (The engine doesn't sit all the way down on the housing.)

To fix this, loosen the flange bolt. Take the engine off the worm gear housing. Notice the hex head on top of the drive shaft. Inside the flange housing, you'll find the clutch drum. Make sure the hex head lines up with the clutch drum inside the flange housing.

Put the engine back on the worm-gear housing. Don"t put carrying handle under gas tank.

There should be no gap between the engine flange and the worm-gear housing. Tighten the flange bolt.

It is easier to do then it is to explain. Good luck-this is a rather common problem.

The gear case could also be bad. When you squeeze the throttle does the motor sound like it is laboring and trying to turn it, or rev up freely like there is nothing there?

I lent mine to a neighbor a few years back and it came back broken. It labored and couldnt turn the tines. We pulled it apart and found the main gear had broken teeth and was jamming. I bought a new gearbox that was about a 100 bucks at the time but the guy split it with me so it was a bit easier to take.

Please contact me if you decide not to fix it, mine suddenly has no spark now and a new coil is 60+. I'd rather give you something for yours than see it go to waste.