• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canoe outriggers for fishing?

I have a set that I used when my daughter was younger. Mostly to make her mom feel more at ease. They weren't the greatest to fish with but we made do. Long handled landing net helped out.

WOW, THAT'S GREAT!!! excellent work redogman. I too constructed a set of outriggers for the canoe, but made them removable, so when i wasn't stationary they could be picked up and placed in the boat for easier paddling/motoring. they are definitely a help for stability, but can be cumbersome and get in the way.

just like redogman, they're made of boat bumpers (easy to find, cheap, durable)

I was thinking of trying an outrigger for stability and stand-up fishing, until I started stand-up fishing out of the canoe bare-bones and realized it was pretty easy.

I fish a 13'6'' pelican navigator, not even a particularly super-stable canoe, but I've never come anywhere close to tipping. The only thing that starts to get pretty impossible to do is chucking mag bulldawgs sideways to the canoe. I stick pretty hard to the shoreline when I do stand-up fishing for safety's sake, and I've quit since the water turned cold.

Always wear a life jacket. Practice swamped-canoe procedures. Only have one or two rods and have all your gear packed for easy bottom-of-lake retrieval :P

Do you tie your tackle box to a lanyard? One thing I've never understood is why people don't tie their gear in when in a canoe. Leave a rope on the bow and stern and a couple of seconds after loading the gear in the canoe, you have everything minus the fishing rods secured. Swamp away, you ain't gonna lose your gear if you have things packed well. So easy and fast yet so many people choose not to do this.

I am thinking about building one this winter for my canoe. This past summer at Lake Jane in Woodbury, my brother and I were fishing in my canoe. My canoe is actually quite stable, but my brother kept insisting on standing up after 2-3 reminders from me. Sitting in the back of the canoe, I can feel him shivering and shaking trying to balance. My friends have stood on my canoe fishing for hours in the past and things were fine because they have better balance. Then after missing a bass attacking my frog, my brother tried to sit back down, but he slipped and we flipped. Lost a lot of my gear and supplies and my glasses. Estimate about $500 lost including my glasses. Luckily we had our life jackets on and we were about 20 yards away from the shore and there was a dock near by. Learned my lesson, hence I strongly agree with Redlantern.

In all my decades of fishing (almost exclussively) from a canoe I can say I have never stood up to do it. NEVER.

And I'd never let anyone else do it either.

Why would you stand up in a canoe ?

Especially to fish ?

What do you gain by it ?

I can understand a hunter using outriggers, but never a fisherman.