• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon 35-80, 4-5.6 vs 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

I'm hoping to scratch enough money together to get a Rebel XSI. I have the 35-80 from my 35mm film Rebel. The reason I'm thinking about getting a body only is that I can use this lens and already have several filters and a lens hood to fit the 35-80. It takes a 52mm filter. The 18-55 takes a 58mm filter and I have none of those. Can this be done? Would there be any major disadvantages to doing it?

Cicada, unless you want to do wider angle photography, there shouldn't be any issue with using the old Film Rebel 35-80 on the XSi.

Because of the size of the digital sensor (smaller than a frame of 35mm film), you'll get a real-world focal length of 56-128mm from your 35-80.

I can't be positive all the lens functions will work just right on the XSi. My step-daughter bolted that same lens on her XT and it worked perfectly though, so I'd bet it would work fine on the much newer XSi.

What would the price difference be on the XSi body only compared to coming with the 18-55? I can't imagine it would be much. You would likely be happier with the the kit lens than using a lens that was older auto focus technology (belt drive auto focus) and image quality that was fair. For the very little difference in price I might be tempted to stick with the kit lens, a little better quality, faster focus, and slightly larger aperture. JMHO