• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs and morel mushrooms

Big R

Anybody tried to train there dog to find morels. It would make quick work out of finding these delicious forest treats. Not sure if my lab would try to retrieve them and ultimately destroy the mushroom.

It would be wonderful to train a dog to find morels, but more importantly they would have to be trained not to chase birds and other critters. I used to take my dogs morel hunting with me, but have not the last couple of seasons due to them chasing turkey hens off of their nests, and pestering very pregnant does.

Grouse nests, too, would be an easy target for a dog right now, but I like where you are going with this... Kind of like the English using hogs to find truffles. A lab that could find morels and just point or bark instead of scarfing them up would be worth its weight in gold!