• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn mower engine ready for the big lawn in the sky

DTro

Last year my 6.75hp craftsman mower seized up while my wife was mowing (of course I’ll blame it on her smile ) .

Anyways, I was able to free up the piston and get it running again, albeit not very good though. It’s loud, it knocks and uses a ton of oil.

In essence it’s on its last legs, and I know I will need a new mower sooner than later. In the meantime, is there anything I can try to add to the crankcase to help it out a bit? Heavier weight oil?

It's a goner so what I"m aboot to suggest isn't going to hurt it anymore, but it may help..........

Drain the oil, fill it with half oil, and half Marvel Mystery oil, and run it.

I've done this in the past. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. When it's junk you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Give it a shot, dude.

If it runs, still makes decent power, and isn't a mosquito fogger, use an SAE 20 oil and run it until it either blows for good or you are sick of it. I've seen motors with knocks run a loooong time.

Thanks guys.

Isn't 20 weight oil going to be worse? It doesn't smoke really at all, just uses a lot of oil. I had to do a refill midway through a 1/2 acre lawn last time.

Maybe I'm overlooking some other issue??

Tonight might be it's farewell tour.

Lighter weight (lower number) oil will burn more. Marvel mystery oil will probably burn more because it is lighter too.

Seafoam or Marvel will clean carbon from the rings (as also Yamaha Ring Free) - this is probably not your problem - I would not recommend them either. You probably have lost tension on the rings or have a broken ring.

Nothing to loose by trying heavier oil - try SAE 50 or 20W-50 - the heavier oil should have less blow-by the rings (burning). I would use a name brand petroleum oil, synthetic will not help either.

That's what I was thinking.

No matter, I found a smokin deal on "the list" and now have new mower.

Now I just have to get rid of the other one.

Thanks again