• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vexilar with a kayak

Does anyone here use a vexilar with their canoe or kayak? If so, do you recommend the high speed ducer or is the ice ducer fine?

I've been fishing out of the yak for the past two years and I figure it's time to get an advantage over the fish smile

I just use the ice-ducer with my Marcum in the canoe, put a dab of water on the floor, make sure there is good contact, and you should be able to get a reading right thru the hull of your kayak. I've been able to do this thru the bottom of an aluminum boat and a kevlar canoe, I did have problems trying to read thru my Old Town canoe, but I think that was due to the multi-layer makeup of the hull. Give the ice-ducer a try before you purchase a high speed ducer.

Does anyone here use a vexilar with their canoe or kayak? If so, do you recommend the high speed ducer or is the ice ducer fine?

I've been fishing out of the yak for the past two years and I figure it's time to get an advantage over the fish smile

Best answer is do a in hull Vexilar ducer mount.

Simply epoxy one in the hull so it is out of the way.

A puck style ducer works fine for this and it will easily shoot through the hull with a good clean return signal and no fear of busting it when loading or beaching it.

They also shoot through aluminum canoes just as easily.

I was wondering about this myself...what happens if your canoe/kayak capsizes with your vex running? You can strap it down so it doesn't sink to the bottom, but will submerging the unit while its running cause serious issues?

I've never considered running my marcum through the hull of the kayak. Thanks for the idea. I've been letting the ducer hang over the side....

I was wondering about this myself...what happens if your canoe/kayak capsizes with your vex running? You can strap it down so it doesn't sink to the bottom, but will submerging the unit while its running cause serious issues?

My smarta@# response would be to not capsize. grin