• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Michigan

I know it's a ways away but when is the best time of the year to go Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan? A few of us are thinking of going out of Port Washington or Algoma this summer and I wanted some idea about when to make a reservaion. Which of these two ports do you recomend? We live in the north metro area.

------------------
<II>'''' U

We usually go out there about the last week in July and have had real good success. I would tend to stay with Algoma, not to say the others arne't as good just my personal experience. Check out the sportsman show in March, there are a lot of good charters that will be there ask the guides when to make a reservation. Good Luck.

setterguy...Thanks, I now have somewhere to start. I go to the March Sportshow every year so I will keep my eye open for an Algoma charter. Is it best to go out for 8 or 10 hours straight or do 4 hours in the afternoon and then 4 hours the next morning? We are planning on staying overnight on a Saturday.

------------------
<II>'''' U

I recommend going out of Algoma, which I have done several times. I wouldn't know if it is better than other ports, but that is what I have been told by people that should know. Check out RV Charters in Algoma..they do a great job. On the time of the year that you should go we have had luck in August but you are supposed to catch more of the 20+lbers in september

[This message has been edited by sthwstfisherman (edited 01-26-2003).]

sthwstfisherman...Thanks for the reply. This will be my first time on Michigan, a few of us went out on Superior a few years back and go skunked so I am really lookin forward to this trip!

------------------
<II>'''' U

The Sportshow starts next week and I would still like some more suggestions about where/when to go fishing on Lake Michigan before I get to the show. Thanx again for the replys!

I havn't chartered on lake MI, but have fished it in my own boat a little. From what I know you'll find good fishing at each port, but as the season goes on the bite gets hotter further north. We've done very well on cohos out of port washington and racine in july, less good for kings out of sturgoen bay in August, but that was partly due to our boat being too small. So depending on when you want to go, you'll find good fishing somewhere.