• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rule question on the Soo Line

Biggerfish

I could not find this in the rule books and was wondering what the correct response is?

Was riding down the soo line near moose lake and came across some horses, so I slowed down and came to a stop. As the horses came by one of the riders said that I was to shut off my atv until they all passed? Didn't know that rule so I did. I proceeded to have a conversation with them, you know the usual stuff, were you from, how far do they ride for and etc. They proceeded to tell me where they live and where they get off the soo line to return home. This brought up another question. If I where driveing my car down the county (Gravel) road they used to get to the soo line would I also need to stop my car and shut it down till they passed? Lastly, I seen several signs that state on the soo line "Only ATV's and Snowmobiles Permitted".

Kind of a loaded question but have any of you ever seen the rules on this?

You must shut down your machine when encountering a horse on the trails. I won't say specifically they're not allowed, because I've seen tehm out there too. Kind of stupid IMO if they know they're on an ATV trail, but I don't make the rules.

As far as driving your car, no you're not required to shut down your car while on the road. ATVs are more intimidating to a horse due to the smaller size and noise from the exhaust. Most horses are more "conditioned" around cars and trucks and I wouldn't suspect it's much of an issue to begin with.

I thought I seen a sign on the Soo Line that stated you were suppose to slow down to 10mph when passing or aproaching non-motorized vehicles, or something to that effect. Nothing about stopping your engine. AND, why don't they get off thier horses and pick up the dung they leave behind on the trails? I was dodging those piles more than dodging deer the last time I was out. He HE HE. Junky.......

aczr2k,

I understand the frustration. Keep in mind that if you can be identified after someone falls from a horse because you follow through on your comments, I guarantee you will be in financial ruins. You are responsible for what the horse does if you so choose to not stop and shut down until they pass.

From page 18 of the Regulations:

Motorized trail users must yield the right-of-way to non-motorized trail users and

shut off their machines when meeting a horse until the horse has passed or until

waved on.

aczr2k said, "How about a trail sticker on these horses? Until I see that I'm not shutting off my wheeler."

MINNESOTA STATUTE 85.46 HORSE TRAIL PASS.

Subdivision 1.Pass in possession.(a) Except as provided in paragraph (B), while riding, leading, or driving a horse on horse trails and associated day use areas on state trails, in state parks, in state recreation areas, and in state forests, a person 16 years of age or over shall carry in immediate possession a valid horse trail pass. The pass must be available for inspection by a peace officer, a conservation officer, or an employee designated under section 84.0835.

(B) A valid horse trail pass is not required under this section for a person riding, leading, or driving a horse only on the portion of a horse trail that is owned by the person or the person's spouse, child, parent, or guardian.

Minnesota Administrative Rules

6102.0050 OPERATIONAL RESTRICTIONS.

Subpart 1.Traffic control.To control traffic on public lands, waters, and trails, all vehicle operators must comply with items A to G.

A.Signs posted by the department must be obeyed. Signs shall be posted when necessary and desirable to control, direct, or regulate the operation and use of a vehicle, or to protect natural resources or public safety. Signs may also be posted restricting access to certain areas.

B.One-way trails must be traveled in the direction indicated.

C.When on a trail treadway, an operator must stay on the right half of the treadway when meeting or being passed by another trail user.

D.When passing another trail user traveling in the same direction, an operator must pass on the left half of the treadway and may pass only when the left half is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safety of any trail user.

E.Any trail user who is about to enter onto or cross a trail treadway shall yield the right-of-way to any trail user already on the treadway to be entered or crossed.

F.When two trail users are about to enter an otherwise unmarked treadway intersection from different treadways at approximately the same time, or are approaching an otherwise unmarked merger of two treadways from any two directions at approximately the same time, the trail user on the right shall have the right-of-way.

G.Trail users shall yield to nonmotorized trail users and shall shut off their vehicles when meeting a horse until the horse has passed or until waved on by the rider or driver of the horse

I have never read that in the ATV/OHM rules booklet?

I guess it is on Page 18. I must have glanced over it when I read it. I always have slowed down, but never shut off my engine. I guess I will now. IMO a person shouldn't be on a known ATV trail with a skittish horse, but that is besides the law.

IMO a person shouldn't be on a known ATV trail with a skittish horse, but that is besides the law.

I would agree with this. I question why anyone would ride a horse on a designated ATV trail at all, let alone a horse that will spook easily, but the rule is the rule and I'll shut my machine down when meeting one.