• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Private pond question

erikwells

I would like to preface my email by saying all statements are theoretical. Let's say a guy who we will call Earl had a natural small pond on his land. The natural pond was about 75 feet wide by 75 feet long and about 2-3 feet deep. So Earl decides to have the pond expanded to possibly put some panfish in it for educational purposes (growth rates research and development of jigs etc..). Earl has the pond expanded to about 100 feet wide by 150 feet long with the deepest hole being 15 feet. Earl leaves the nautual areas as is for the most part and sort of adds a second pond that is connected (the deeper water). Earl had the insight to level the ground appropriately so the runoff continued to go to the pond to allow the level to remain high. Earl also put about 15 bluegills in this pond 2 1/2 years ago. The bluegills were about hand size when he put them in. They now push a legitimate pound. Earls' bluegills have also reproduced rather well and there are two identifiable year classes add to his educational pond. Earl has observed fewer tadpoles since his bluegill additions and believes that is how the handsized bluegills got so big so quickly. Earl is now concerned that with the deminished tadpoles and the two new year classes that he may experience some winter kill. Doe's anyone know if the fish can survive eating larvae that are in the pond? Or should Earl add a food source from time to time during the winter? I know that Earl is asking a tough question but he like I believes there is a lot of knowledge on this HSOforum. If anyone can help Earl please respond to my email and I will be sure to let him know. Earl and I thank all of you in advance for your responses.

Isn't there a song about an "Earl"? Does/would Earl's pond maintain a fairly constant water level? Is there a source besides the natural runoff/rainfall for fresh water? Is there a lot of vegetation in the pond which may die, rot and deplete the DO in the winter? Would Earl consider an aeration of sorts? Can the fish navigate between the two ponds? I ask this to see if they may get trapped in the shallower of the two. To the food question, does Earl add minnows to the ponds? How about small shrimp? Any type of meal products? I have a friend who has an "Earl" too, I'll ask this weekend what he feeds his sunnies!!

Erik

I did something like this when I was about 15 - put some small sunnies in a pond in the pasture behind our house. Just like Earl's, our fish grew, and spawned as well.

Food did become an issue. We helped out by generous additons of night crawlers in the summer, and waxies/mousies in the winter - all with the appropriate hardware attached.

Tell Earl I'd be glad to help out with those hardware equipped waxies. smile.gif

UG

doubleucubed, yes Earl had to die,which is exactly what Earl and his friend do not want to have happen to the bluegills. Earl throws some crappie minnows in from time to time. There is good vegitation in the shallow part of the pond. The fish do move back and forth. Earl has a youngin on the way and will not be able to put in an aerator. However the water table is very high and Earl believes that there is some fresh water exchange. The pond level is very contant. Any ideas for food source outside of minnows would be great. Earl sends his thanks.

Unclegrump, Earl is much like a 15 year old. I will tell Earl that he should add some minnows etc.. I will also pass on to Earl that he may want to harvest some blugills from the pond. I may even lend Earl my portable to setup on his pond. I wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing it. Thanks for the response.

Pass this on to Earl -
Snails.
I have a friend in Minneapolis who keeps bluegill and bullhead in a 200 gal indoor tank, and he says that blugill eat snails. They crush the shell and spit it out. This parrot-fish like tactic explains why they hit bait the way they do. Now, I don't know the winter life-cycle of snails, but could this be a good food source for Earl's pet bluegills?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Check with the bait shops near your friends pond, maybe they will deliver a few gallons of crappie minnows to the pond for you. That's what we do. After a few dumps they will spawn on their own.