• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boating in low water conditions

norma

Anything special you do for boating in low waters? Thinking of getting an aluminum prop to swap with the stainless one in use now, I figure if I hit a rock it might save the gears/lower unit. It also costs less to replace an aluminum than fix a stainless prop.

Low water is the norm here in SW MN.

Aluminum prop is the only way I'll go. I did the stainless prop/hit a log/rebuild the lower unit thing. Never again.

Keep a spare prop in your boat, just in case.

Keep an eye on the depth finder.

Sometimes you have to trim up the motor due to water depth. Remember to keep it low enough so the intake can still get water for the water pump.

Staying "on Plane" until you get to where you want to be is important. This puts the least amount of your boat actually in the water and will help getting through low spots.

Staying "on Plane" until you get to where you want to be is important. This puts the least amount of your boat actually in the water and will help getting through low spots.

I won't disagree with this statement outright, but I will qualify it. I would only stay on plane if I knew the water well. If not, you'll just hit something at a faster speed. If the water is low and I don't know the area like the back of my hand, I'm at minimum speed with the motor trimmed out as far as I can safely run it.