• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fix or Sell

chasineyes

I'm in a little bit of a quandry. My dad has an 04 700 sportsman that he would like to get rid of. He bought it last year from a guy without knowing much mechanical details of an ATV. Last winter I replaced the rear wheel bearings and shifter mechanisim. I just got it out of storage this weekend and believe the front bearings are shot, the front tires have a leak as well and the battery is toast. Would it be wrong to sell it at a discount without fixing the bearings or could I get a little more by replacing them (about $60). The machine was very well USED when he bought it.

IMHO if you're up front with the potential buyer and sell it as a "fixer upper" I don't see the issue. It's when people hide potential problems that they know of, that's shady. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago with a Griz. I couldn't sell it and feel good about the deal. I inherited the machine which was well "used" as well. I've changed all the fluids, replaced the brakes and now a new axle for $160. But I have a machine that I know might look a little tough but is in decent mechanical order and I feel comfortable riding it. I know that if I were to sell it and replace it with another used machine I don't know what I'd be buying. At least I know how this machine is. SO...for $60 fix it and ride it till the wheels fall off. Or spend the $60 then sell it feeling good that you didn't hose the buyer with a known to you, unknown to them problem.

I agree with Carpenter. I'd sell as is and make it a point to let the potential buyer know what he/she is buying. Sure, it will have an affect on the price as it should but consider your time and parts cost for fixing it, chances are you'll never gain what it will cost for the repairs.

Case in point. I have an old 12' field cultivator on steel that I bought for scrap iron price. I fixed it up just enough so I could use it as it was for a couple years. Then one day I decided to invest in it and replace all the shovels and tension springs at a cost of over $300.00. As luck would have it, I used it one day after fixing it up and a neighbor stops buy to offer me his 24' cultivator at a decent price. I bought it and now don't have any use for the 12 footer anymore. Unfortunately, the old 12 footer isn't worth what I invested. I am now ready to sell it for whatever I can get because right now, it's basically taking up space. Anyone interested, let me know.

i also aggree go ahead and sell i did that few years ago my wheeler needed work i went online printed out a parts list of price and what it neede and was up front with the guy he was happy i was happy it was a 2000 sportsman 500 sold for 1500 and needed 500 in parts

[PoorWordUsage] i wish i could find a cheap wheeler that needed some parts so i could find something for the woman to ride but everyone arround here wants alot of money for their busted junk i mean really a 98 Cat 400 with rusted out racks and bad plastic and needs a new choke cable and what not and they want $3400 ha ha ha I paid $4000 for my Suzuki King Quad with only 700miles on it and thats a 700 EFI and its in good shape.

In My opinion I would put the parts on it your self and then sell it as having new parts unless you really just want it gone that badbut then again it all depends on your potential buyer and how handy they are

<[PoorWordUsage] i wish i could find a cheap wheeler that needed some parts so i could find something for the woman to ride but everyone arround here wants alot of money for their busted junk i mean really a 98 Cat 400 with rusted out racks and bad plastic and needs a new choke cable and what not and they want $3400 ha ha ha I paid $4000 for my Suzuki King Quad with only 700miles on it and thats a 700 EFI and its in good shape.

In My opinion I would put the parts on it your self and then sell it as having new parts unless you really just want it gone that badbut then again it all depends on your potential buyer and how handy they are