• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What sealant for cork rod handle?

I recently got my St. Croix premier rod back that I dropped into a lake about two years ago. With the lower water conditions, clear water and lack of weed growth, it was found. I have cleaned the rod and sanded the cork and now am letting it cork dry completely. I was wondering what kind of sealant is recommended for this application?

Thanks

There is a product called U-40 cork sealer that could be used...

Me personally, i never bother. I like it when cork has a used look. And for those that dont, a quick rubdown with med-fine sand paper cleans them right up. Maybe the sealer would toughen the cork up? But unless your useing the cork for a hook-keeper its a non-issue... cool

I like U-40 and apply it to all of my personal rods with cork handles. I would lightly sand your current handle to clean it up, finish with a grey 3M pad then apply a coat of U-40. One coat is all you need. I generally follow up with a thin coat of paste wax applied with a white 3M pad, allow to dry and then buff with a towel. Handles look great for 3-4 seasons and the grip does not have more slip, just make sure to buff off excess wax (or it will be slipery).

I was given a rod a while back that was custom made. They actually epoxied the cork handle. It looks pretty nice and surprisingly it doesnt slip at all when its wet! Also the guy put the name of the person the rod was built for in the cork before they epoxied. I can take a picture if anyone would like to see.