• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting an apple tree questions

Luck e 1

SO I saw that the friends of the parks people are selling apple trees...but I don't know where to start.

All I know is that they come as 5' bare root...whatever that means.

Any suggestions that may help to ensure proper growth?

Pick up dates is May 1st, so I was wondering if I should start doing anything now to get ready?

when you get a bareroot trees you should follow these basic procedures

1) prune the roots about at least one inch all the way around

2) dig the hole about 6 to 12 inches wider than the rootball

3) depending on soil type, add amendments... example sand too loosen clay or black dirt to strengthen sand

4) plant with the bottom of the graft at the soil line( big knobby thing by the roots)

5) after back filling with dirt, stick the hose into the ground and let the water run till it bubbles up

6) if needed add more dirt and adjust graft knob height

7 )stake the tree

When you stake the trees leave a bit of slack in the wire or string so the trunk has room to sway. This helps the trunck of the tree to grow stong. Remove te stakes as soon as the tree can stay up on its own. Also use a section of garden hose or flexable tubing just long enough to go around the trunck of the then thread the wire through tubing, that way the wire or string wont cut into the trunck of the tree.