• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger 1860 Angler or 185 Reata

jerad_s

jerad; The reata has been out longer than the angler series, so that is why it is harder to find used. When i talked to a dealer about them , he said they both used the same hull, but had different interiors.

I have an Angler with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and absolutely love it. Pros and cons would be hard to judge depending on the type of water you spend time on and type of fishing you do. I spend most of my time bass fishing but wanted a multi-species boat to be able to hit bigger water for walleyes once in a while. I don't think you could go wrong with either boat. The Angler is going to have better rod storage (will hold an 8' rod) and a few minor differences for seats and other storage. If you do more fishing than cruising or pulling skiers/tubers, I would lean more toward the Angler. The Reata is more of a family mixed-use boat in my opinion. Good luck in your search!

I own a 1850 Reata and love it!! I have an open bow for when the kids are around and want to relax and it also has the ability to flip up the cover and it becomes a full dance floor! I looked at the angler and liked the little extra rod tubes but i wanted more tube/cooler/ski storage and still have the ability to carry 9 rods! Which ever route you decide you'll be very happy. Finding either one used can be difficult, they are the most sought after hull going right now.

I should mention where or what I will be fishing for. I fish walleyes 95% of the time. Mostly on the Mississippi River and Lake Pepin but this boat will travel to Canada and fish large lakes. I make it out to Lake Michigan once and a while to fish Salmon. I really need something that will be well suited for larger bodies of water that can get pretty rough. Having said that I need something that will be ok on the Mississippi river backchannels too.

This boat may pull a skier or tuber once a year but I am just starting my family with our first on the way.

I have a crestliner sportfish right now and the Reata 1850 with a yamaha 150 is going to be my next boat.

My dad has the Reata 2050 with a 225 Etec and there aren't too many cons in my book. Well....the price of course.

The front and rear convertable seating is big plus, if you don't need it just leave it down and have the fishing platforms.

The one thing that I think you could say is a con is the rod storage (as other's have mentioned). It combos as a ski locker too so there aren't as many tube storage spots as there could be. It's still great rod storage just not as much as a 621.

I have had my Reata 1850 for the last 2 seasons and absolutely love it. It is probably the most versatile boat on the market today in my opinion. I have mine set up to look very similar to a rig you would see a tournament pro run, but have the flexibility to turn it into a recreational boat. The Angler is almost the same boat with a few differences as others have mentioned. One main difference is the position where the windshield is set. The windshield on the Reata is set farther forward towards the bow making the front deck smaller and the passenger compartment larger. On the other hand the angler’s windshield is set further back making the front casting deck larger and the passenger compartment smaller. For me I like the larger passenger compartment since that is where I do the majority of my fishing. It is really nice to have the extra room in the passenger compartment if you troll cranks or spinners a lot. But, if I were a caster or liked to spend more time in the bow the angler would have been a better fit. You cannot go wrong either way!!!!!!!!!

I know a handful of guys I would consider “hardcore fishermen” that all fish out of a Reata. Go with whatever rigs suits you and your style of fishing more.

Good luck,

Matt