• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Right Sized Boat

Got A Byte?

I currently have a small 16' lund with the bench seats. It gets me out fishing but I am thinking about looking at something a little bigger and more conferatable, such as a pro v. I have seem some used with 60 -90 hp motors.

I leave close to mille lacs and would like to get out there. but I also still enjoy the little lakes, so I dont want a monster boat or a boat payment.

Does anyone have any advice on if a pro - v would be a good fit for this type of fishing?

Or does anyone have a better option other tan a pro-v.

I ran a Pro V's for several years, and they are a well built boat. If you don't fish big water very often they may be more boat than you need. Pro V's hold their value pretty well, and if you don't need such a rugged built tournament boat you could get a little bigger boat, and or a bigger motor for less money looking at maybe a Lund Mr Pike, or an Angler. If you want a Pro V by all means buy one you won't be disapointed.

I've got a 1775 Pro V and fish big water like Mille Lacs, Leech and URL with no problem, but I wouldn't go any smaller and still be able to fish the big water when it's windy. With that being said, you just have to use your head and not be out when it's unsafe.

I also fish smaller lakes too, some under 500 acres and it works well there too, but in reality the size of the boat has very little to do with how it works on large or small lakes.

It's more about hull design and what kind of trailer you have. A 21' bass boat will fish real shallow water better than an 18' Tyee, but if you fish LOW a bass boat is not the right choice. If you launch in shallow water alot I'd look for something with a roller trailer to help with the unloading and loading of the boat. If the water you fish is deep with nice landings it's not really going to matter. I'd get the biggest boat you can afford and tow with what you have. There are some great deals out there now, and I wouldn't be afraid of looking at the Mr. Pike series, the Cresliner Fish Hawks or the Alumacrafts. If you look at the online classifieds some people are pretty much giving their boats away now.

I bought a Mr Pike ...... it's a 17 ft boat with a 115 hp. It is a great boat especially for fishing rivers and most lakes.

However, if I get on a big lake with some wind i get a little beat up, and wet when im moving with the main motor. If you will be fishing mille lacs regularly, I would go with a 20 ft boat.... a Pro-V would be a good choice.