• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Oahe SD

Hawks

Hey guys, just got confirmation that I am heading west next weekend to Lake Oahe SD. (A warm-up for the real season). I have never fished this lake and was wondering if anyone had some information to offer. Sounds like Walleyes are plentiful but I am concerned that we may be too early. We'll be fishing the Gettysburg area and would appreciate any reports/advice we can get. I had better go and dust-off the tackle box. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-good fishin

Expect to fish in wind. You'll need good Gore-Tex bibs and parka over polar fleece.

Jig-minnow, minnow-rig presentations seem popular on Oahe from early thru the season. Crawlers and leeches later -- minnow rigs need not be so long as what you'd use on Mille Lacs.

Trolling Rapalas will produce walleyes and a mixed bag. Oahe can be lots of fun.

Good luck.

I would be out there right now...fourth trip in a row...but someone's gotta work the store! The crew we fish with goes out of Walth Bay near Selby. Usually is windy and cool....bundle up good, like fishing in late October on Mille Lacs!

Ditto what Clayton said for presentation...jig and minnow served us best. You can fish two lines in SD, so many times we'd have one on a dead stick with a minnow rig, and jig with the other. Slow presentations worked well. The early bite last year (and we were early...two days after ice...) was subtle...just feeling the weight of the bite...in warmer spots the 'eyes were more agressive, but seldom did we get 'smacked' (unless it was a northern)

good luck..

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Herkey, Hawks indeed stands for the University of Iowa, but it also stands for my last name Hawkinson. Enough about that Herkey, am I gonna catch any eyes next weekend or is this smelt run going to make it rough? Any reports would be greatly appreciated.

--good fishin everybody!

Herkey, Hawks indeed stands for the University of Iowa, but it also stands for my last name Hawkinson. Enough about that Herkey, am I gonna catch any eyes next weekend or is this smelt run going to make it rough? Any reports would be greatly appreciated.

--good fishin everybody!

There will be higher fish concentrations in the major river arms this time of year. If I were to go anywhere, I'd go to the Cheyenne River arm. However, you're going to be a long ways from that if you're in Gettysberg.

Call bait shops in Pierre and Mobridge before you go to get recent reports. Good luck and pack your warm clothes. Mind the wind....the waves can get really big really fast on Oahe. And if you get stranded or swamped, it could be 10 miles to the nearest house, unlike Mille Lacs where a guy can knock on a cabin door anywhere on the lake.

Hey, Herkey....are all those links you're posting authorized?? smile.gif

Good luck.