• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Draft Picks--History

scsavre

So what do you think? Did we do good at all?

2000'

Round 1

#3 overall, Marian Gaborik, gone without trade

Round 2

#33 overal, Nick Schultz, good enough, Defensive, D

2001'

Round 1

#6 overall, Mikko Koivu, Good pick, leader, still here

Round 2

#36 overall, Kyle Wanvig, 12 points career high, Not in NHL.

2002'

Round 1

#8 overall, PMBouchard, 63 points high, still here, Good pick

Round 2

#38 overall, Josh Harding, Back up goalie, decent pick

2003'

Round 1

#22 overall, Brent Burns forward turned D, bad/med pick.

Round 2

#56 overall, P. O'Sulivan, traded, never panned out,avg 30pts

2004'

Round 1

#12 overall, AJ Thelan, cut, Horrible pick, never made NHL

Round 2

#42 overall, Roman Voloshanko, [PoorWordUsage] pick, never made NHL

2005'

Round 1

#4 overall, Pouliot, traded, Horrible pick, good trade.

Round 2

#27 overall, Matt Kassian, bad pick never made NHL

2006'

Round 1

#9 overall, James Shepard, [PoorWordUsage] pick, Shepard sucks

Round 2

#40 overall, Ondrej Fiala, Hasnt even made the AHL yet...

2007'

Round 1

#16 overall, Colton Giles, Developing slowly, who knows...

No Round 2

2008'

Round 1

#23 Overall, Tyler Cuma, Suppose to be good D, hasnt made AHL

Round 2

#55 overall,, Marco Scandella, Did nothing in AHL...

2009'

Round 1

#16 overall, Nick Leddy, Traded but hasnt looked good in WCHA

Round 2 nothing.

Out of our 20 possible picks, 6 have made and stayed on the Wild. At this point, I say trade our picks for proven players....maybe? Most of our # 1 picks were projected to be second rounders. You dont take 1st round players that are just going to be role players, or switch positions. We missed out on some good players.

I would say that 6 out of our first 7 picks were great. Gabby, Koivu, and PMB were all excellent choices. Burns has shown some real promise at times, although his concussion injuries are a real question mark now.

It's almost like we had a different team of guys picking all of the following years. Really did not do a good job from 2004 through the present. And it shows in our current roster and our farm system.

I agree sobles, we started out drafting really well but recently it has been pretty horrible save the past couple years because its too early to tell. It also seemed like at least for a while we always got a good 1st round pick and then traded away or gave up in the later rounds. I think last year that might have changed at least a little, our later round picks actually seemed to have some talent instead of guys who had 4th line grinder written all over them.

I think Cuma & Scandella will turn out to be solid picks. Scandella was one of Canada's better defencemen at the world jrs and it at a point per game in the Q. Cuma doesn't have the offense and has had some injury issues but from what I understand he can play solid D and should contribute at some point down the road.

04-07 really killed us, I am still baffled why we traded up to grab a guy like Gillies, he scored 13 goals in 65 games his draft year, are you kidding me? At least Pouliot and Sheppard showed a ton of potential when they were younger. I don't even want to think about the picks we wasted on Thelen and Matt Kassain.

You guys are right, somebody had to have switched jobs in 2004 or something. That is when we really started to screw everything up. We really missed out on some good players. It is unreal that we traded up for some of there horrible players.

Wow, Burns is a bad pick? He was great one year, had a sophomore slump a little bit and this year has been out with concussion most of the year with a new system.

I think he'll be OK once he gets a little more time under the new coach. Throwing him in and out of forward didn't help his development at all, I'll give you that.

Thelan was a down-right terrible pick.

The problem i have with Burns is, if you want a defensman, Draft one. You dont waste a number 1 pick on a guy who later becomes a defensman. Maybe do more homework. I guess he is no worse than our other picks. He makes me a little nervous out there too.

Remember when Burns was drafted he had been a defencemen most of his life, then was switched to forward his draft year. It been pretty much back and forth his first few years which I agree was not good for him. I'm glad they are keeping him back on D now, when he is on he is a great player on both end of the ice. If he can shake off the concussion stuff and get back to his old self from 07-08 we will all be happy.

Stoner was a gritty player, always a good thing. However he has only played in a handful of games and wont be a impact player. More playing time can help for next year though. I think he had surgery 2-12 so about 4 weeks after that is average. Its not a bad surgery. Had it twice myself.