• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vantage?

muskielaw

Can anyone tell me how fast a 74lb Minnkota Vantage will be able to push a 18ft pro v going forward? Another question I have is if I already have a 74lb bow mount am I better off getting a kicker over the vantage for trolling cranks? Right now I can get the big engine to troll down to around 2.1-2 mph with it trimmed up (which can be annoying) but would like to be able to troll cranks a little slower at times. I know it would be nice to back troll with the vantage but wonder if it would dissapoint when trolling cranks.

Thanks

Thanks

I had a Vantage on my previous boat (17.5 foot Alumacraft w/ 140 Johnson). The Vantage was a fantastic backtroller, but lacked in the trolling category. I tried trolling cranks with it but it drained the batteries too quickly. It would achieve most any trolling speed but when it had to be run hard it just would not last. I recently started trolling much more so my current boat is equipped with a T8 which is incredible!!!!

There are a bunch of different ways to slow down a troll with your big motor that you could experiment with. For me they all were a pain so I decided to get a kicker.

If you plan on trolling for any extended period of time I would spend the extra cash and go with a kicker. Vantage does have its time and place, but not as a kicker.

Matt

If your main concern is slowing down your trolling speed, the Vantage works great. Troll with your big motor, turn the vantage on in the opposite direction - just adjust the dial to adjust your speed. You can do this all day long and can very accuratly dial in whatever speed you desire.

If your main concern is slowing down your trolling speed, the Vantage works great. Troll with your big motor, turn the vantage on in the opposite direction - just adjust the dial to adjust your speed. You can do this all day long and can very accuratly dial in whatever speed you desire.

True -- but he can already do that with his 74 bowmount motor, so I don't think buying a Vantage would be much of an improvement over what he can already do.

Thanks for the help guys. I kind of figured I would be better off getting a kicker for my needs. Price isn't an issue I am more concerned with the kicker getting in the way when I have to take the future wife water skiing! I know that is a sin but as much as she lets me go fishing I figure pulling her around for an hour is well deserved on her part.

Muskie