• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trim / Tilt fluid

slammer

How often do you guys change the fluid(oil) in your trim-tilt lifts on your motors? Is it nessesary to change it often or not at all? I have a 10 year old Merc 150 and have had it done twice by dealers but want to do it myself from now on. One guy says should be done every year and others say dont worry about it. Seems pretty simple just wondering if any tricks to it?

My opinion is to leave it alone unless nessecary. If the fluid is clean and moisture free there should be little or no reason to change it. Every time you crack a fitting loose to cycle out the oil, you run the risk of harming the flared fitting. Anytime you do thatt, there is the possibility of loosing the sealing surface and water may enter the system. Hydraulics are very sensitive to contamination and the slightest amount of debris.

On the boards here we often see guys with TnT problems leaking down, etc.. Often times it debris in the system. Ask yourself how the debris got into a sealed system.

i had 89 60 evrinrude never touch it in 18yrs

worked as good in the 18th yr as the 1st

sometimes that old saying applys

if aint broke...............

kinda the same thing with wheel bearings on trailers

i see guys talking bout every yr or every 3yrs because they are in water

but 18 yrs on that trailer just a shot of grease every spring

was it,,once in awhile i'd jack it up to be sure they were tight

if aint broke..............