• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

open water crappies

jighead 3

Why wait till spring to catch crappies? Some of the best fishing of the year is coming up in the next few months. From Hugo I'd look west to Peltier and Centerville, north, Forest lake gets the nod for numbers and then the lakes around the Chisago area all hold healthy populations of crappies. Northwest, Coon and Linwood lakes and to the south Bald eagle and White Bear get the nod. Good luck!

Tunrevir~

Green lake there is a 9" minimum so there are some larger fish in there. The twin lakes near centerville can hold some nicer average sized crappies and lakes like Bald eagle, Forest, Big Marine can all put out some large fish but you have to wade through the little ones to get to them.

Tunrevir~

Yeah, the average crappie in the metro is probably a little bit under 10". But bigger ones are out there! I caught a 15" crappie on a lake of only about 200 acres. All I hear about is guys complaining about all the small crappies in this lake. So you never know when you will set the hook on the giant!

That is really a nice looking crappie. I'd have her on the wall I think! Love the color some of them get!

I would also say that big crappies can be found in the cities and you don't have to hit the big popular lakes to get them. I visit my gf in the cities and have only really looked at a few lakes but I've been surprised by what I've got so far. Still waiting to get some bigger ones but she caught a 12" crappie and a nice fat 9.5" gill. Same lake and same day!

Doesn't compare to the good old days of the Bemidji and Ely area catching 14"+ fish but those are around too!