• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Polaris 500 Drive Belt?

Chef

I pushed my 500 pretty hard last winter on two outings and it feels like I have a worn drive belt.

My question is whether or not this is something I can fix relativley easy myself or should I pay for shop time to get it fixed?

Thanks for your help!

take out all the screws in the belt cover,

remove belt cover

remove belt

put on new belt

put cover back on (take an extra 2nd that the rubber seal is set correctly in all the grooves to keep water out etc)

its a very easy job, with no special tools required.

i think your fix is a little easier than what rundrave exsplained, all you need to do is pull the pin that holds the belt cover down which is on the clutch side just inside of where your foot hooks are then in your tool bag there will be a t handled tool with threads on the end of if. now on the clutch (the bigger one) there will be a hole to screw that tool in to to open your clutch up and the belt should slide over the edge. put on the new belt and ***remove the tool** don't forget that. start it up and run it a little to get the clutch to return to its normal position. this is a pretty easy fix.

its a 2003 500, that cover interchanges with several models. its pretty standard between the Sportsman, Magnum, Trail Blazer, Scrambler, Trail boss, and even some UTV's etc etc

the cover is part no 2633262 Asm., Clutch Cover, Outer and is used on 2002 to 2008 models

when I go back and look at other years prior to 2002, its the same assembly but a different part #...perhaps the models that were several years older are different as you described