• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Floatation in Boat??

Coach1310

Okay.... so I have a problem with my livewell draining and I would like to install a radio and some accessory outlets in the same area. To do any of the work, I will need to cut/chisel out the floatation material that is in this area. How can I go about replacing it when I am finished? Is a huge deal if the shape/amount of the floatation is not exactly the same?

**By floatation, I mean the stuff they spray in various parts of the boat so it floats... it looks like a spray foam type of application that expands, but I'm not sure. The boat is a 1991 Alumacraft if that matters. Thanks for any help.

Okay.... so I have a problem with my livewell draining and I would like to install a radio and some accessory outlets in the same area. To do any of the work, I will need to cut/chisel out the floatation material that is in this area. How can I go about replacing it when I am finished? Is a huge deal if the shape/amount of the floatation is not exactly the same?

**By floatation, I mean the stuff they spray in various parts of the boat so it floats... it looks like a spray foam type of application that expands, but I'm not sure. The boat is a 1991 Alumacraft if that matters. Thanks for any help.

What ever you do, don't just go out and buy the house insulation foam in a can. There are two types of foam. Open cell, and closed cell. The open cell will float for a while but will absorb water. The closed cell does not hold water. The Manufactures use a two part foam out of a gun that is also a lot heavier density so it just doen't crumble like the light stuff in a can. If you just need to do a little touch up the can would be OK. But if your removing a lot, I would call one of the boat repair places and see what the have or use. wink