• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EasyTroller Trolling Plates

Harp

Well after having to pull my big boat out of the water last year due to low water conditions and fishing and trolling out of a 12' fishing boat for the remaining season I got the trolling bug back after good results. Now I want to get my big boat down to trolling speed a 22 foot cuddy with a 170 IO cruiser. I am looking for a good clean answer to get it to troll down from the 2.7 MPH bottom speed I got now? I understand the windsocks, dragging buckets etc but don't like'em..I got really no place for elec. troller so now I have read about trolling plates yes some are junk plastic break etc... But these EasyTroller Trolling Plates seem to have good reviews and feedback made of alum. everything I find to read about them seems positive. Anybody have one or another clean solution?

wow... I think it's going to take more than a easy troller to get your rig to that speed... I really think you're going to have to consider a kicker to pull that off... especially if you don't want to drag something to slow you down. Any idea what pitch & diameter prop your turning with that rig? The bigger the prop, the further it travels, and I'm guessing you have a pretty high pitch prop on that rig.

marine_man

I used a easytroller on my last boat and loved it for slowing the boat down to a crawl. even dead stop in the St.louis river. one thing i didn't like was the ability to steer if you don't mind drilling some holes in your (cant remember the name) lower Unit give it a try.

I agree big boat. I dont know if it will work or not. If it where me id give it a try. If it didnt work return it. All you have wasted is your time and mabe a drill bit. Oh yea, I recall i had to buy my nuts and bolts, if I remember correctly? Good Luck. and remeber to flip the plate up when you want to go fast haha.

Yeah, I think I will give it a try it says IO's in the ads? I know I am asking for a lot on the list of wants here to maintain all the comforts of the cruiser/sleeper ,the trolling speed without reproping I use a 19 pitch currently BTW and without a whole bunch of messing around to switch from cruising to trolling a pull of the rope? But it is a multi-use family boat with a fishing heavy dad loading,my fanbase consisting of fishers, swimmers, snackers, beachers, sun'ers, sight see'ers and wind in your face cruisers. You got to make it work for the whole crew.

Thanks, HARP

It will slow you down but you'll loose steering as well.

Yep for those small corrections and turns you'll be cranking on the wheel back and forth. Now do that on a large and heavy boat where responses isn't that great anyway, you won't like that much.

Drifts socks and kicker motor for a boat that size.