• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maple Lake Tournament

Anybody else ever fish this tournament? Seems like they offer more than just a fishing challenge. Anything a guy should be aware of heading in? Is the auger competition fun to watch? Arctic plunge? Worth while bringing small children?

Basically just curious what others have to say about this event.

I've attended the past 3 years. Pretty good time. Our group has yet to catch a fish but maybe this will be the year. They've got tents setup for the kids to fish. The auger competition is fun. It's supposed to be stock motors only but 2 brothers running modifieds with jet fuel took 1st & 2nd last year. It's one contestant at a time against a stopwatch. The polar plunge is new this year so that should be exciting as well. The nice thing is you're allowed to use shelters so no matter what the weather brings, you can be comfortable. Last year it was -15. Shouldn't be too bad this year.

One thing that helps make it harder to cheat I would think is the fact that the bigger prizes are given out to random places.

ie 4wheeler for 23rd place, or whatever. Nobody knows what it will take to win 23rd place so I would think that would deter a lot of cheaters.

I was out on Saturday fishing the Brainerd JC extravaganza and let me tell you how much I was dreaming of even sitting in my flip over house. Soaking wet and fishing in the rain takes a lot of the "fun" out of fishing.

A guy, worked with said last year, 5 guys weighed in fish, that were in a wheel house on the egde of the contest area. They were on the the lake over night. When filed a complaint 1 official told to stop whining. I hope tis year,they get a better handle on things.

yeah i like the way brainerd does it too, mix up the prizes and having a house would have been nice. body stayed dry but hands got wet and I found out my boots leak mad

little elk lets you have houses and last year there didn't seem to be any problems, plust having the wife win biggest fish was nice too

I might come to this one just because you can have a house

I saw the picture on the HSOforum but thought someone who's been there in the past would have an idea of how many people typically show up...

There is a lot of people that show up, usually enough to fill up the given area pretty well even when it was -20 out last year. Be out there early if you want a particular spot.

How many fish normally get registered? I see that 35th largest northern wins the Ice Castle house, but is there normally even that many northerns registered?

Oh yeah every year they usually catch like 50 or more. There are a ton of little hammerhandles in that lake and that is why I believe they have an extended limit on them.

I didn't see anything regarding the parking situation. Do we just drive out and park near our shacks/portables that we're fishing out of?

What is a good time to get out there? (what time do things start to pick up on the ice?) I'd like to be early enough to check out a few spots/depths before it's too crowded.

How deep is the water in the contest area?

I didn't see anything regarding the parking situation. Do we just drive out and park near our shacks/portables that we're fishing out of?

What is a good time to get out there? (what time do things start to pick up on the ice?) I'd like to be early enough to check out a few spots/depths before it's too crowded.

I think they did a great job with the HSOforum, but did a very poor job anticipating and posting all of the obvious FAQs...

Originally Posted By: tsande00

I think they did a great job with the HSOforum, but did a very poor job anticipating and posting all of the obvious FAQs...

Yeah...everything is blank. Good to know it isn't just me...thought maybe it was my computer. I'm not seeing any pictures or any FAQs.

Yeah most of the options/links on the webpage are new this year and are blank. Most of it is done by volunteers I believe.

You can drive out anywhere within the contest boundaries. It starts to get pretty crowded by 10am so if you want to do some scouting, get out early. There's a bait/tackle shop 1/2 mile west of the lake on Hwy 55. The water depth varies from 1'-30+ ft.

Originally Posted By: tsande00
How many fish normally get registered? I see that 35th largest northern wins the Ice Castle house, but is there normally even that many northerns registered?

Oh yeah every year they usually catch like 50 or more. There are a ton of little hammerhandles in that lake and that is why I believe they have an extended limit on them.

What are the regs for the little slimers on Maple? I was recently out there but didn't bother to read the signs.

I don't think there are any special regs on Maple, at least none that I saw in the regulations. In the past they've had signs to encourage taking those small northerns out to promote growth in size structure. I'd assume those were the signs you saw? I was just out there yesterday too and didn't pay any attention.

there is no special regs out there and no extended limits. the limit is the normal 3 fish. as said above there are signs at the accesses that say they (the lake association and dnr) would like for people to keep a limit of northerns. they are trying to get better size fish in the lake there is too many hammer handles. I have seen some nice eater size northerns caught this winter already. they where mostly on tip ups. I have had some flags my self but nothing stayed hooked for me.

heading out to Maple tomorrow morning to see if I can catch some fish for dinner. are the northerns biting what is everyone using for bait? What seems to work best on Maple. I really don't care how big they are just want a tug on the end of the line.