• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wifi VS. Cat5e

CJH

Currently have a PS3 running off of Wifi (G I think) and its been pretty good. Do encounter some lagging, but I think that has to do more with the servers than my broadband (Comcast).

Here's my question: As I get more into downloading movies and other media, how much faster would it be to run a network cable to the PS3 vs the existing Wifi?

It won't be any faster unless your internet connection is faster than your wireless connection (not likely). WIFI G by spec is 54mbs, but you will more likely get around 20-30mbs in the real world depending on signal strength.

Hardwired is the best. It doesn't vary and is more reliable. The PS3 has a gigabit ethernet port. I have mine wired with CAT6 through a gigabit switch and it works great. The hard wire connection will help you out if you are streaming media from your computer, especially if you stream any HD content. Even if you don't have gigabit equipment the 100M connection is still much faster than wireless.

The only thing I use my cable connection for is transferring files between my laptop and PC. It's much faster that way VS over the air.

Like stated, you won't be able to download any faster with a wired connection.

It would be more stable though.

Thanks for the input guys.

If I am reading this correctly, it won't really help my with online gaming, since the wifi is already faster than my broadband connection (I think is 15-20mbps). However it may help in streaming video directly from my PC to the PS3. Correct?

I just setup the mediacenter music streaming function in the PS3 yesterday and was going to work on photos and videos in the next week.

I was pretty impressed with the sound quality, especially in full surround mode!!!!

I don't recall the exact details of the speeds, but I have a 10Mbps connection and use both hardwired and wireless G connections. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter, but for me, downloads always go faster by wired than by wireless, so I'd have to think there is some chance the gaming would work better on a hardwire.

For gaming, if you can, I would stick with a hard wired connection. Mostly because of the stability. Missing packets can go unnoticed while surfing the web or downloading content but will cause lag during gameplay.

There is always going to be more overhead on a wireless connection than wired, encryption etc takes a little time, there is also other broadcasts in a wireless network that take up bandwidth. That and Wireless is a broadcast network where everything is broadcast and your wireless adapter has to decide if the traffic is for it and not for another machine. With a wired switch the traffic it sees is it's own traffic and not someone elses.