• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chew proof bed for 7 month old puppy

sparetime

My puppy has hit the inevitable puppy chewing stage. I assume he is getting his new teeth.

I bought a nice bed for his "day" kennel and he chewed it to shreds the first day. He is put in a small kennel at night, and so far hasn'et bothered the bed in there.

Any suggestions on what to use for a bed in the kennel? I have been using cedar chips, but replacing them gets expensive and they are all over in my garage. I have a kennel under the bench with a dog door to the outdoor run. I think the mess in the garage is a bigger problem than having to buy the chips.

Thanks

I laugh at the idea of any manufacturer calling anything "chew proof". If you think you have something chew proof, send it to me, and my Great Dane will prove you wrong smile

There's not much I have found that will help. Lots of toys (Nylabones, Kongs, etc) will help. We've got a pad that's covered in a vinyl-coated fabric that's pretty tough. He chewed through a few corners and I about had a fit because of how much I spent on that pad. After I got it patched up, I found that dabbing Tobasco on the corners daily stopped him.

My GSP is just coming out of that stage - he still chews his bed from time to time, but not like he used to. Before, it was an everyday occurance. My wife got really good at sewing.

We would give it to him one day and if he shredded it and my wife had to sew, Toby had to lay on the hard ground for a couple days before he got it back. Now that he is a little over a year, Im not sure if he learned his lesson or just grew out of it.

Toys will probably help a bit, but there is something irresistable to a puppy about pulling the stuffing out of things. BTW, ours was supposed to be chew proof, too.

My puppy has hit the inevitable puppy chewing stage. I assume he is getting his new teeth.

I bought a nice bed for his "day" kennel and he chewed it to shreds the first day. He is put in a small kennel at night, and so far hasn'et bothered the bed in there.

Any suggestions on what to use for a bed in the kennel? I have been using cedar chips, but replacing them gets expensive and they are all over in my garage. I have a kennel under the bench with a dog door to the outdoor run. I think the mess in the garage is a bigger problem than having to buy the chips.

Thanks

Yea there is realy no chew proof bed. Depending on how cold or heated the garage is, you may want to consider straw instead of wood chips. Wood chips are of little value for warmth, and they invite the habbit of chewing on everything in the bedding area. Every chip is fun. thats why they end up all over. You can go pick up some cow hoofs at a fleet, they last and keep em busy. When it warms up or in a crate in the house you can try the mat with a hoof and when he goes for the mat take it away and make him sleep on the plastic or hard floor over night.After they feel the differance they start to leave it alone in many cases. but you will have to repeat offten. And the hard floor is no harm to them.