• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fivebucks

Big sturgeon

Just got back from Portland, OR on a great fishing trip. We booked a guide on the Colombia River and spent 2 days fishing for Sturgeon. The fishing was great! We caught 14 big fish that were all 7 - 10' long ranging from approx. 175 lbs. to almost 500 lbs. These sturgeon really put up a great fight and most of them jump a time or two. My biggest was about 450- 500 lbs and she jumped 3 times. The longest battle was 40 min.

I anyone out there gets the chance to go out there I highly recommend booking a trip with our guide. Let me know if you want more info.

BIG fish ON!!!!

Hey Fivebucks, that sounds like a great trip. I've been wanting to do that for a few years now. Can you give me an idea of what the cost was for the trip, at least for the guide? How about the name of the guide service? I'd like to go next year if it's affordable. I've gone fishing for lake sturgeon the last few years on the Rainy River, but those white sturgeon are huge. What do you catch them with? How do you land them? I'd love to see some pictures if you have some. Thanks, Vern

Yea it was a fun trip. We went with Franks Guide Service aka Sturgeon Frank. He's been guiding on the river for 13 years. He charges $500/day for the boat and you can go up to 4 people. We had 3 people and caught 6 fish and 8 fish in 2 days fishing. The best bait is shad. You'll patrol the river looking for floating dead shad and a fresh dead shad is almost a sure fish. He also uses cut-up lamprey eel which isn't as effective. After the fight the guide just grabs the fish by the mouth and once they're belly up they're pretty docile. Due to the weight they never leave the water. Currently the legal slot is 42-60" so a good share of the fish are too big. I've got his phone number at home and will forward that to you. I took 2 rolls of pictures but not digital. If I can hook up a scanner I'll get your e-mail address and send you some action photos. It seems this time of the year is a good time to go out there.

vern-

I currrently live in Portland and would be more than happy to give you some names and of some of the more well known and respected sturgeon guides in the area. This time of year there are two major fisheries - Astoria at the mouth of the Columbia (refered to as the estuary) for keepers and below Bonneville Dam for oversize fish. Fivebucks timed his trip very well as the river will close Aug. 5th to retention. Let me know if you would like any info and I'll be happy to pass it along. Make the trip, the fishing and scenery are amazing.

eats

I still haven't developed the photos yet but I will be sure to have a few of the better ones scanned or digitalized or whatever they can do. I will then forward the photos around. Fivebucks.

Thanks a lot Eats! Any more info you can send me would be great. Here's my e:mail address: [email protected]
I'd really like to try this next year. Vern