• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

predictions for the big weekend series

cbrooks

Pretty quiet on the forums for college hockey. Maybe this weekend Gopher UND series can change that. I got UND winning both nights. I think the Gophs won 7 of there last 8 . I haven't been able to watch them lately so tell me if I'm wrong.

Oh I thought you were referring to the Bemidji State vs Minnesota Duluth home and home series which pits two top 15 teams against each other!

North Dakota will probably sweep, although I could see the Gophers getting one game!

BSU vs Duluth Home and Home is the following weekend. UMD plays the Mavericks this week in Mankato. We really need a sweep there to keep up the pressure.

As to UND vs UM, I'd have to say split. Gophers need to split with the big schools and sweep the smaller ones from here on out if they want to make the tourney. Nothing like a little pressure to get you on your game. Always an entertaining series to watch.

Tough to have a run like that. Hottest goaltending I can remember & MacGregor Sharp playing out of his mind was fun to see for their 5 or 6 game run.

This year I would put their top line (Connolly^2 + Fontaine) against anyone in college hockey. Goaltending has been much better than I expected also, given their limited experience at the start of the year. Don't know if goaltending will be good enough at the end of the year, but I'm having fun watching.

Yeah I bet its been fun being a bulldog fan with all the success and the new arena . Good stuff.

What happen to all the Gopher fans. I hope they didn't give up already. They must be busy preoccupied with the Vikings.

Used to be lots of posts on college hockey. St Cloud is pretty good this year too. Haven't heard much from their fans yet. Gophers should improve. If not, the fans will be calling for some changes.

I'll have to mark my calendar next year for opening of ticket sales. New Decc opens first weekend of 2011 I believe?

UMD had a big sweep last weekend. You think they will make a run like they had last year?

They have Jack Connolly, Fontaine (30+ points and then 2 others who are climbing the 30 point mark) but no Stalock and #2 in the WCHA standings right now so we will have to wait and see! I think they'll be fine but they will struggle against the Beavers this weekend! grin

That would be nice if they showed the BSU UMD game that weekend on Fox sport. Looking forward to next year when Bemidji joins the WCHA I will have to make to over next winter more often catch a few games in there new arena and do some ice fishing.

Yeah Bemidji will have a nice new arena right on the lake and they have proven they can play with the WCHA over the past few years... Although North Dakota has always been tough but they have beaten the Gophers and Mavs(got swept this year though) and will play UMD but not St Cloud. They beat #1 Miami so it should be fun to see them join the WCHA!!!!!

Agreed on BSU joining. Should be a lot of fun. I'm wondering if they will re-align the "rivalries" and have UMD and BSU be rivals (instaed of UMD MTU)? Or they could just pair BSU and Omaha, as they are the two new entries.

BSU's run last year was nothing short of spectacular.

Should be an interesting weekend of hockey, as a gopher fan I would like to think we are going to kick it up a notch and make a 2nd half run but I don't think the fans or even the players have much confidence in that happening. I can see us splitting this weekend but we really need a sweep if we want any chance at the NCAA's. I don't think we can afford more than maybe 3 losses the rest of the season to have any chance at an at large bid. Sure we've won a few games lately but the competition has been weak, the real test is this weekend!

Should the gophs fizzle and die this year I full support my 2nd favorite teams Bemidji and UMD.

The Gophs are in a 3 year funk and Sioux have been killing us lately 8-3-2 in the past 13 games, hard to bet against them. If the Gophers are going to make any noise the 2nd half it will have to start this weekend, honestly a split won't help them that much as they need a lot of wins to turn things around.

UND has been having there problems w/injuries and giving up leads. I think both games will be close.

Surprise to see the record between them the last three years. I'm thinking the Gophs need a new coach. When was the last time they struggle like they have the last couple years?

UND has been having there problems w/injuries and giving up leads. I think both games will be close.

Surprise to see the record between them the last three years. I'm thinking the Gophs need a new coach. When was the last time they struggle like they have the last couple years?

when Woogie was the coach! grin

1997-98 17-22-0

1998-99 15-19-9

Well, it sounded like one of the more exciting games. I didn't watch the game but Kangas must of played well. I know that Minnesota needed to get 4 points this weekend but you have to be happy with the come back they made in third.

For me I'm a little disappointed, they have blown a few games at the end of the third period this year. If they could close the deal this team could go far.

Maybe Minnesota will make a second half run this year. At least I will be able to watch the game tonight FSN.

There was some issues with the Wooger before he left. Don't remember the specifics, but I thought he gave some money to McAlpine?

Anyway, Lucia's and Woog's records are very close with respect to winning percentage. I saw a graph comparing % for each year they coached. It was almost scary how close they were. And both had a drop off at the end. Maybe not Don's end. I'd post the chart, but it would really only be fair if I linked it which isn't allowed. Go Gophs!

He was a great coach, no doubt about that. Lots of NCAA appearances; he just didn't win the big one. Since he recruited only Minnesota kids, this may have affected his results. Not saying it was good or bad, but Lucia is much different in that regard.

I also used to really like Doug's commentary. He and Frank were pretty very entertaining. I still like tuning in, but it's not quite the same as it was 5+ years ago.

Hats off to Minnesota taking three points this weekend against my team. I don't think anybody thought they would have beat them as handly as they did Saturday. As a hockey fan its too bad Kangas couldn't get the shutout, Thats the best I've seen him play.