• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

15 Hp Etec

Tullibee

Did a web search for 15 hp etec and some photos came up of one. Anyone hear any word as to when these may be coming on the market? I was going to put a link up for the pics but wasn't sure if I would get into trouble for doing so.

I talked to the local Evinrude dealer today and asked him about the etec 15s. He said he hasn't heard much about them, but what he has heard is that they share chassis with the 25 etecs (basically a detuned 25 hp motor). Lets hope this isn't the case and that they made the 15s lighter than that. If this were the case I would just buy a 25.

I wouldn't call it a detuned 25. The 15 is a throttle body fuel injected motor. It will have the tap up/tap down speed increments on the tiller handle. The tiller handle will also be able to be adjusted left or right 20 degrees to clear obstructions. From what I read on another forum from some of the developmental guys, this is a new from the ground up motor.

Here is some more info I found.

All New 15-hp H.O. Launching at Key Boat Shows

The new Evinrude E-TEC 15-hp H.O. engine will be

displayed at key U.S. and Canadian shows over the

next few weeks. Early market testing was quite

positive on this new platform, a welcome addition to

our lower horsepower offerings. The limited release

15-hp H.O. is scheduled to be at the Houston,

Minneapolis, Seattle and Miami International boat

shows in the U.S. and at the Toronto boat show in

Canada. Information, specifications and pricing for the

15-hp H.O. will be available soon.

Anyone know if the throttle control allows you to go directly to idle speed AND resume your previous speed setting (like a trollmaster?) It'd be a bummer to buy one, then turn around and need to put a secondary control on the thing. Idle/resume is the best feature of the trollmaster.

ya i have t-8 on my boat it doesnt have it and i guess

thats spose to be the ultamate kicker

i'll be interested to see how quite this 15hp is my 150 is fairly quite for a 2 stroke

that t-8 isnt as quite as there big motors

From the BRP site:

BRP INTRODUCES ALL-NEW EVINRUDE E TEC 15-HP H.O. ENGINE

Sturtevant, Wisconsin, January 14, 2010 – BRP launches the all-new Evinrude E-TEC 15-hp H.O. engine. The new engine features BRP's own Touch-Troll™ system, a 15 amp alternator and the exclusive no scheduled dealer maintenance for three years or 300 hours on its Evinrude E-TEC engines.

The Evinrude E-TEC direct-injected 15-hp H.O. engine is available with an adjustable tiller handle or as a remote control model – both incorporating a high-speed tilt component, supported by a heavy duty bracket system that deploys at a speed three times that of standard systems. The exclusive Touch-Troll™ feature provides accurate electronic RPM speed control for improved fishability while, the 15 amp alternator delivers best in class charging power. And, the Evinrude exclusive feature of no scheduled dealer maintenance for three years or 300 hours provides the most discerning angler with the added flexibility and ease of operation for a worry free, full day on the water.

“We’re delivering on our commitment to expand our Evinrude E-TEC line-up,” stated Yves Leduc, vice president-general manager for BRP’s North America division. “The new 15-hp H.O. model gives the consumer the best of both worlds – the largest displacement which delivers the maximum get-home speed and the direct-injection fuel system which offers the optimum ability for slow trolling,” Leduc concluded.

The Evinrude E-TEC 15-hp H.O. engine boasts many of the same features and benefits found on its bigger brothers in the Evinrude E-TEC line up. Low maintenance, including three years or 300 hours of no dealer-scheduled maintenance; cleaner and quieter performance, minimizing impact on our environment with extremely low carbon monoxide emission at idle; durability and reliability through design and components including NASA-developed alloy pistons; and, best in class performance with more displacement, high thrust reversing exhaust propeller and fast rise inductive ignition (IDI) for sure starts and longer spark plug life. All superior benefits of BRP’s E-TEC technology that deliver added peace of mind and more time on the water.

The Evinrude E-TEC 15-hp H.O. engine will be highlighted at select boat shows in key markets across the U.S. and Canada - the Houston International Boat Show, the Seattle Boat Show, the Minneapolis Boat Show, the Toronto International Boat Show and the Miami International Boat Show throughout January and February.

The new 15-hp H.O. model will be available as a limited release production through authorized Evinrude dealers in North America beginning in May 2010.

Also from Evinrude Pro Eric Olson:

The speed control eliminates the need for the troll master as the control is built into the tiller handle. Each touch of the Touch-Troll switch bumps the throttle by 50 rpm's. This control is digital so it will maintain an accurate rpm control through the injection system rather than a throttle arm movement. This eliminates any external component attachment to the throttle body and will not allow rpm "wander". At the present time it is avaialble on the tiller model, while ther options may be available in the future.

Also

What makes this an incredible feature is that the engine rpm can go as low as 615rpm, the closest 4 stroke competitor (in this class 9.9-15) runs at 915rpms. having the same gear ratio and pitch as the others it allows super slow and accurate speed control whether rigging or open water trolling. At the same time putting out more hp than any other 15hp available

The other key element is the tiller arm is adjustable 20 degrees port or starboard for boats where gunwhales are an obstacle for turn in some directions. adjust the angle of the tiller handle to the inside of the boat and comfort as well as turn radius are achieved.

Also with the direct injection the cold start issues of the past are "history". push the button and the engine starts, no matter how long it's been sitting, thats been an issue with the kickers as they not be used for weeks at a time. This is also an issue as engines sit with the poor fuels we have these days, degradation in evavorative (carburated) engines cause jets to clog and engines to run poorly.

Sorry for the extended answer but ... some people wanted to know.

Tight Lines

Eric

thank you for that

so remote deal can be run from behind the steering ??

Am I understanding this

And can also be run if one is sitting back there like a tiller

if thats case i'll be the first one to trade my t-8 lol

then i can listen to 2 etecs purrrrr lol

i understand what they are saying bout starting

my 150 fire RIGHT NOW that moter dont turn over once and its runnin

Still would like to know how much they weigh. If not much lighter than a 25 then who would get the 15?? At least someone in my situation that wants to use it as a main motor for a small fishing boat.

I feel that both the 25 and 15 would be sweet for backtrolling.

Still would like to know how much they weigh. If not much lighter than a 25 then who would get the 15?? At least someone in my situation that wants to use it as a main motor for a small fishing boat.

I feel that both the 25 and 15 would be sweet for backtrolling.

If you want a main motor for a small boat, a "kicker" is not what you are looking for. These things are made for 1 purpose; trolling on larger boats. The main reason for their weight is that they have electric start (ie a starter), power trim/tilt (electric motor/hydraulics) and a heavier duty gear case to give the motor maximum thrust at lower RPM to push the big boats.

I see where you are coming from snowman but I still have not seen written anywhere that this motor is a straight up "kicker". That may be the case, but not sure. Any indication that they would have a model of these 15s that don't have electric start or power tilt and trim (which I would not want). Maybe this is not the motor for my purposes but only time will tell.

One other question. What with the H.O.?? I would assume it stands for high output... A 15 hp H.O. kicker motor?? Seems like overkill to me. Although you guys with your gigantic boats it may work out great.