• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 / external hard drive question

LwnmwnMan2

4GB is a fat32 limitation not a PS3 limitation. You can stream the movies over a home network from your PC, then there is no file size restriction. Also can play music from the PC over the network. Just need to turn on the media server on your PC and the PS3 will find it and connect on the network.

The videos are in HD, WMVHD gets real choppy when trying to view over a wireless network, which is what happens when opening the media server.

I realize I could just hook the external HDD to the laptop, and then use the HDMI out on the laptop and plug right into the TV, which may be the route that I take, but if I could get another HDD into the entertainment cabinet, hidden, then it would just keep everything looking "pretty" for the wife, if you all know what I mean.

Also, there's another option now called WDTV, where you can use that as another 'box' and plug the external directly into that, and control that with a remote. I'd assume there must be some sort of a buffer in there so you don't get the chop, but I'll have to look into that.

I have mine hardwired via ethernet to my PC and get no chop with 720 or 1080P over my home network. Wireless G isn't the greatest for streaming HD video. The problem could be the wireless or it could be the speed of your PC, or both. If your PC is too slow (Hard Drive or processor) it will not be able to stream the data fast enough to the PS3. Either way hardwired ethernet is the way to go if possible.