• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your wrong

The motor and out drive on this boat is valued at $2000 and the traler $500 Used...
I was in the prosses of restoring the boat and it was far from ready to be put in the water.

The boat it self is not worth much but the parts with in the boat are.

Anyways thank you all for keeping you eyes open. I am loosing faith that I will get it back the long it is gone but I still hope.

Thanks

That's the worst feeling, knowing that someone just helped themselves to your property. I had someone take all my fishing gear out of my boat while at a restaurant, you just get the sickest feeling. I feel your pain man.

loko,

I hope the end results are positive!!

This past winter my Croxton Pond gear bag full of ice fishing gear( many years worth of accumulation with many irreplaceable items) fell out of my Otter Sled at the landing. It's truly amazing just how much stuff you can pack into one of those bags!!

By the time I noticed it had fallen out(right by my truck) about an hour later, someone had helped themselves!

I literally almost became sick!!

Not to make light of your situation at all!!

I hope something good comes of this negative event!!!

Jim W

While walking along, you spot a wallet on the sidewalk. Someone else was also eyeing the wallet. You reach down and grab it, while that other person, approaching the wallet, gives you a grin.

Do you hand over the wallet to that person or do you open it up and see if he is the actual owner?

I would and have done the later. If the person can not be proved to be the owner, the stuff gets turn over to the proper authority. In the case of fishing gear on the vast open lake, if the guy can not confirm his stuff, they become the property of the finder.

If you had certain critical parts left that needed to be instaled on the boat that was ripped off, check with area dealers to see if there was a sudden interest in parts for that model?

I would call all boat salvage yards in the region too. Odds are if they wanted to stip it they would sell the parts they didn't need?

Also ask the police if any abandoned boats were reported in a 100 or so mile area of the spot it last was seen. They may have just drove off with it and got scared, or had a flat and left it? If you don't check it will wind up on a abandoned vehicle auction for sure. Don't count on the cops looking too hard for it!

Worth a shot I think?

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Jim,

Although I feel for you, I think Loko's case is a bit more extreme. If I were to drop or loose something, and somebody 'helped themselves' to something left behind on the ice, I would be upset but also realize that I dropped it or left it there.

Loko's case is different. Somebody had the gonads to go into his back yard and take a boat. Loko didn't forget it out on the lake then go back looking for it later. He said it was in his back yard - not front yard where somebody could just drive by and grab it.

I know if I was walking off of the ice and I found your bag I would:

1. See if there was a name inside, something to identify the owner.

2. Check at the landing if there is somebody that just came off in front of me or if I am going out check with some people setting up in that area.

3. Let some of people I know that fish the area what I found to see if they know anybody who lost it.

After that I would treat it as picking up somebody elses trash they left behind on the lake - mine to dispose of. A lot of people I know are about on the same line as me on this. If they find something, they will make a small effort to find the owner, but not go out of there way. This is why I label most of my equipment with an address sticker, plus mark it with permanent black marker with my initials. If somebody finds a tackle box sitting on the dock at the landing they are much more likely to return it if there is a name on it. It doesn't let them say to themselves "I don't know who's it is so it might as well be mine."

I really feel for Loko. Not only did he loose his boat, but he has to live with the fact that his own back yard is not safe. I would have a hard time dealing with that, and that would make me more angry then loosing the boat.

Kevin

kgm,

I apologize if I came across as making light of "LokoLobo's" situation, It wasn't my intentions.

Second, I don't feel that nearly $1000 worth of ice fishing gear is a "laugher" neither!

Yes there was a couple forms of identification in the gear bag.
Interestingly enough, I wasn't all that far from the landing. Only a small ice heeve hid my gear from my site on the ice. Granted I wasn't watching the landing constantly, but I did notice when someone pulled in, being only two other trucks(to ice fish).

A gracious individual gave me a ride to the "shanty town" on his ATV. This was the only place with newcomers on the ice from the time I arrived! ALl in all I asked everyone on that lake if they had picked it up, like how you recommended! TO no avail!

SOmeone had been out for a joy ride, stopped at the landing noticed my bag and left!!

Yes it was no boat, but I can easily say there were items in that bag that had a ton more sentimental value than a fixer upper boat!! IN other words, items that will never be replaced!!

I have to commend you, you hit a nerve and prodded me into a non related discussion!

Thanks!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!

Jim W

This is strange....
My Boat was stolen on the 10th of June at about 10am (according to the people that live on the other side of the fence)broad day light.

Here's the stange part..
Yesterday, July 1st, between 1:30pm and 5pm my boat shows up parked right where it was stolen from. Nothing was taken out of it and it hadn't been used.

I have my boat back... I called the Police to let them know what happened. They asked if I had any or knew of any suspects. I didn't have any idea of who might have doen this. But if I had they would have come out and finger printed the boat.

The strange part is... If you had stolen a boat or something from someones back yard, even if you felt bad about it after, would you take the chance and bring it back to the place you stole it from?

Don't get me wrong.. I've over joyed to have my boat back...

But the people that stole it, in my mind either weren't all that smart or have a set of huge balls.....

I'm still confused about the whole thing..

Sincerly,
LokoLobo

I didn't want to forget..

I just want to thank everyone for there help!

Who know's maybe it was because of the people here that I got my boat returned to me..

Thankyou,
LokoLobo

P.S. Just an after thought, less then an hour after getting my boat back I went to FleetFarm and bought over $100 worth of lock and chains to help reduce the chances of it happening again...

[This message has been edited by LokoLobo (edited 07-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by LokoLobo (edited 07-02-2002).]

Just wondering if family or friends may have played a joke on u!I have a friend that owns a tow truck.I Came out from my work, and my truck was gone.So happen Mr tow truck operator happen to call me on my cell, before I call the police, hes was more upset then me!.After about 15 min conversion with him.Asks me if I see my TRUCK accross the street.I wanted to ^&%^##Q@##%$ HIM.It was a good laugh,U are right takes balls to bring the boat back! Glad she's safe at home now. Goose