• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enclosed Trailer

1900_LE

I need some help here guys. I'm trying to find an enclosed trailer to haul my sled(s). I can't seem to find one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Or I'm too late getting to it. But, there are a lot of open trailers around. My question is, can you buy just the cover? Not a canvas one, but a aluminum one that would fit either a 10' or 12' trailer? If so where? Maybe a HSOforum or phone #. Thanks

Some things to think about:

One: Make sure your sled will fit. It it is a long track, 2-up sled, make sure your measure.

Two: If you can, get a drive on and drive off style. I had a flow tilt alum. enclosed and boy was that a bear to load when alone. If you get a tilt bed, just remember to bring something to weight the bed down while driving the sled on the trailer.

Three: I would "not" get an alum. cover that has the center rear lifting brace/bar. You have a newer sled that has some stance, you will clip it when loading and even unloading.

Halloweenimages141.jpg

Four: Check for things like lic., tong lock, spare tire, hold down bars, cover clips and ask about any other items they might have for trailer. If they do not have these items, you might be able to bring down the price. Also before the money is handed over, ask to see if the lights are working, check for grease on the inside of the tires, and if possible ask to have them take you on a test drive with the trailer. Also a very nice added feature is an interior light inside the enclosed trailer. Once the sled is loaded, and the engine is shut off (headlight also), it gets dark in their. A light helps when securing the sled down and putting gear away.

Five: Not huge, but these are combustible engines that use gas, which releases fumes. If you store inside the trailer for summer, it is nice to have them downward facing air vents. This also helps with keeping the temps down inside also.

Six: Make sure the entire trailer is lockable. Nothing worse than to find out you can not get locks in at the hold down points. Makes for a nice, easy feeling when on trips and the trailer/gear is locked down.

Seven: Do not be cheap if buying an enclosed trailer. If in the market your are looking, another $400-$500 can get you a better trailer, wait and gather up the extra funds. Most times you can sell a used trailer for about what you bought it for, but IMO just start off right.

I went with a Bear Cat Trailer:

Bearcatimages2001.jpg

I did get it at a very good deal (used) and sold my Flow to offset the price to almost even last year. Too good to pass up. Some of the guys in this forum have used this trailer with me while fishing and even on some trips. Loading of 2 sleds sleds or sled and fish house only takes minutes. The best part about an enclosed is the "no" road salt. wink

All I can say is keep an eye out for deals in the local paper, classified sites, trading times, bulletin boards and even word of mouth. Find out what you want and what it is going for before buying anything. Some people ask way too much for their selling price and others just want to unload their trailer cause of personal reasons "fast". wink

IMO buying a used non-covered trailer and then buying a new cover from a dealer will set you back way more than holding out of a good used enclosed trailer complete. February you will start to see more trailers popping up for sale.

Good luck! smile

shackbash, all good points. Some I never thought of. Here's my problem tho. I live in Mo. so finding a trailer down here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. And if I do find one they think its made out of gold. I did find one up in Iowa, but the guy sold it out from under me. Some peoples kids!! So I will just have to keep watching craigs list and hope I can deal with someone honest, and they hold it for me. I'll be up in Mn the end of this week for a ice fishing trip and maybe I'll find one then. If not, I can wait. I have a trailer that I haul my Teryx on that will work for now. The wife wants a snowmobile too so I'll have to find a trailer sometime. I'm in no big hurry.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.