• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deere model 49 blower (single stage)

Iron Cowboy

Hey All, I have a few questions for anyone that has one of these. This is my first year with it on my new to me 318 and when I went to blow the wet heavy snow it just wouldnt throw it for anything, the chute would get clogged right away or it would load up real heavy and throw the belt right away. One guy told to to spray chute with silicon which I have since done along with purchasing a new belt. Any other tips on getting it to work better? Also I cant find a shear pin and key way anywhere on this thing to replace if needed, so far every time I ran into anything it just threw the belt. I would think it would work better than this and the push blade is not an option for my long drive. Any help is appreciated.

Iron Cowboy

I have a 317 with the single stage blower, Have had the same issues since I've had it. Spray and new belt helps, I've gotten to the point I just take a 1/2 swat, I get the job done in about the same time as cleaning out the chute but alot less hassle, the thrower I have has a 1/4" x 1" Machine bolt shear pin .

Ive also got a 317 with the model 49 blower. My Father has a 316 with a model 49, so Ive spent some time with one! Ive never had one throw or break a belt. With the wet heavy snow we had I also had problems plugging up, when there is that much wet heavy snow it its a balancing act between feeding too much snow through it and none at all. I accually killed my 317 a couple times on the last storm! I also found it works better to take less than a full width pass. My dad and I take the chute off every couple years and sand it down and repaint it to keep it smooth, silicone spray helps too. There is a schear bolt on the right side of the auger.

Ive been looking for a 2 stage blower to modify to mount on the rear of my 317. I think that would be a much better system.

Spraying the thing down with any product seems to me to be destined to be a waste. The abrasion from the snow would take the material off in a heartbeat. Do what Dozer said and only feed it in small bites. Some of the wet stuff, like we're likely to have on Sunday, just won't go through no matter what.

Do you think the blade would work well in the deeper stuff? One guy that I talked to that had the blade said it didnt work very good with a garden tractor at all for anything more than a city driveway I have a 350 ft drive (dont own a 4-wheeler)

I have a 14 hp Simplicity tractor. I put wheel weights on it and chains when using the blade and I weigh about 250. It won't work if the snow gets too deep or if I try to push too much at once. Sometimes I have to run a couple passes the length of the drive with an angled blade and then run across the drive width wise pushing the snow to the side. It depends on how heavy the snow is. Sometimes the blower is more efficient, sometimes the plow. You just have to learn what works best and be able to switch it out when one doesn't work. A neighbor has a two stage blower on his lawn tractor and the thing is a monster. I sort of wish I had gone that way. He still has trouble with the really wet stuff however.

I would just stick with what you have Iron Cowboy. Its pretty rare to have snow that wet and sticky, or that much of it. Once you get a feel for how to run it it will work much better. How much weight do you have on the back end of your tractor? It helps alot to have a alot of weight on the back so you can control your speed. I have 250lbs on the back of mine and I weigh 250lbs, and I would like to have anougher 100lbs but Im scared the rear diff couldnt take the weight.

I have a plow for my wheeler and they arnt all they are cracked up to be. I clear a pretty large area and with the plow it takes me about twice as long as the blower. With the plow you wind up with big piles every where and with the blower you dont. IMO it takes a heck of a plow to beat a blower, especialy with deep snow.