• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steering problem

splakeshaker

I have an old 93 indy sport. My problem is that the steering is really really stiff and now I can even turn the skis. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I wondering is it most likely just a lubercation problem or should I expect something worse. I have a mechanic I can go too but would rather not if I can do it myself. If it would be just lube, what kind of grease is to be used? Thanks

Same thing happened to me a few years ago on an Indy 400.

Inspect the tube that the steering shaft goes through in the engine compartment. You will likely find a grease fitting on the tube, it might be hidden by the airbox/oil container/something else. Inject fresh grease into this zerk - it is easier if you bring the sled in somewhere warm first. If you can't get any grease in, you can carefully - CAREFULLY!! - heat the steering shaft with a propane torch.

After that, follow the control path and lube any point of motion.

Tim

What I would do. Get the front end on a jack stand. Sounds like the joints are dry. With the front end up grease will get into them easier. I would just grab your grease gun you have in the garage. fill them up slowly. Good luck.

Sounds like the spindles are dry. Easiest way to check is to raise it up, remove the tie rod link on the spindle shaft and turn the ski back and forth. If its loose, it should slide right out. If its tight, thats the problem. Check both sides, if it is still tight with both disconnected, its in the steering shaft. My guess would be spindles though.

I worked on an XLT once that was so tight we had to literally pound them out, buff them on a wire wheel, then grease and reinstall. The guy was so excited he said it felt like power steering when we were done.

Sounds like the spindles are dry. Easiest way to check is to raise it up, remove the tie rod link on the spindle shaft and turn the ski back and forth. If its loose, it should slide right out. If its tight, thats the problem. Check both sides, if it is still tight with both disconnected, its in the steering shaft. My guess would be spindles though.

I worked on an XLT once that was so tight we had to literally pound them out, buff them on a wire wheel, then grease and reinstall. The guy was so excited he said it felt like power steering when we were done.

My problem was in the steering shaft. My guy buffed it up and greased it down. As far as the power steering comment.....it sure does. Thanks for all the advice.