• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Medora, N.D. mule deer tips?

With a little luck, my dad, me, and a couple friends will draw non-res. muley tags for next fall. We've got an outfitter lined up near Medora, N.D. We're fired up to say the least. We will be archery hunting. We've never hunted mulies before. We live in northeastern MN and treestand hunt whitetails. The outfitter told us that Thanksgiving week is the peak of the mule deer rut out there? Anyone have any tips for some "newbie" mule deer hunters? It sounds like it's mainly spot and stalk hunting with some ground blind and treestand options available. Does calling work like it does for whitetails? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

bmc

I would be very excited about your opportunity!!! That would be awesome!! I'm guessing a lot of your hunting will be spot and stalk. you'll need a comfortable/solid pair of binoc's and quiet boots and clothing. You should be comfortable shooting out to about 40 yards if not 50. You have to use the wind in your favor our you won't get close enough. I hope any of this helps. I would love to know how you do because I'm interested in the same kind of hunt. Just curious....how much does the outfitter you are going through charge?
you can email me at: [email protected]

Well, the 4 of us got our apps sent in and now we're just crossing our fingers till we hear something. If any of you have info/tips on western N.D. mule deer hunting, I'd sure like to here it. We've been doing alot of reading, but there's nothing like firsthand info.!

bmc
[email protected]

If you do get drawn heres the biggest tip I can give you. Start WALKING to get you legs in shape. The hills can be very tough on your legs, oh and remember to look where you sit. The cactus relley hurts when you sit on it. Remember to bring a good pair of leather gloves they work great for the stalks where your hands are on the ground.

Well, our party of 4 all received "any deer" archery tags for N.D. this fall. We're majorly pumped to say the least!!! I'm hoping to get a shot at a nice muley buck, but will gladly take a doe if it comes along and it's later in our trip. We'll be hunting northwest of Dickinson during the week of Thanksgiving. As I've said before, any tips for first time mule deer bowhunter's would greatly be appreciated! Does calling them work like it does for whitetails?

Brian

Buy some good boots. Watch for rattlesnakes and cactus. I have never heard anybody call mule deer before, but I don't know everything.

I've Bow hunted for Mulies out in Western ND. Whoever gave that advise for getting in shape is right on! Its all up and down, and just wait until you have to drag one out.

My experience was also glass and stalk. My best memory was seeing a nice velvet 5x5 two miles away from a huge ridge and getting within 40 yards. The last 50 yards was all cactus. I think It took me a year to get them all out of my hands and back.

I didn't get him because my buddy took a wrong turn at the end of the draw. and spooked him right as I was about to draw back.It was one heck of memory though.

Another bit of advise, its open range out in some of those parts and the cows are WILD. They run from you just like a deer would. More than once I had deer get spoked because cows that were near ran at the sight of me. Sounds wierd, but its true.

Happy hunting.........I'm jelious! I grew up out west and its awsome country out there.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm getting my new Hoyt Xtech set up and will be starting to practice here pretty soon. I'm gonna really have to practice my 30 and 40 yard shooting this summer! Hopefully I'll be able to get a shot within my 30 yard "comfort zone". Are snakes a worry out there around thanksgiving time? If there is such a thing, what's the normal temps out there, during mid-late November? New boots, electronic range finder, mule deer doe bleat, and some type of "stalking booties" are on my list!

Brian