• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maybe a dumb question

I have been seriously looking at purchasing a new rifle, I am a pretty seasoned deer hunter but haven't looked into this, well, ever. I have been using a 243 for 18 years now, and want to get a 270 or 30-06. My biggest challenge is finding rifles that are semi-automatic. I really want one, but all I can find are bolt actions and levers... Am I missing something? My dad and uncles have semis, but it seems that in all the ads and in local shops there are never automatics. Help with this? Thanks

why do you want a semi-auto? are you one of them guys that I hear shooting 5 times in a row?

they (bolt actions) are more accurate cause all the force from the charge is pushing the bullet out of the barrel whereas a semi auto is using some energy to cycle the round.

for practical shorter distance uses it probably doesnt make a difference.

I used to own a BAR Safari ... that was purdy nice ... although, cleaning was a pain.

I believe you can still get a new BAR Safari as well as much more modern versions called the "ShortTrac" and "LongTrac" ... I would guess those are named for whether they're chambered for a short-action round, or not ... these are all Brownings, of course. Winchester also offers an "SXR" which, I'm guessing, is basically one of the modern Brownings with the Winchester name.

I believe Remington now makes what they call a "750 Woodsmaster" ... I'm also guessing they've discontinued the 7400. From what I've seen, the sights on the 750 are useless ... ya may likely need to scope it.

Benelli had an automatic rifle a few years back ... thought I saw one at Fleet Farm not long ago.

Then, of course, ya could get a larger .308-based AR ... Remington offers these as the model "R25". They also offer the smaller "R15" in their new .30AR caliber ... this is likely a 7.0 lbs rifle capable of dropping a deer inside 200yd. The AR's typically run $800 - $1,400.

The Brownings and Winchesters are probly $700 - $1,000.

I'm guessing the Remington is around $700 - $800.

The AR's are most likely easiest to clean, and easiest to accurize ... if needed. Almost anything on 'em can be replaced somewhat easily. I've installed a new trigger in my own (no, not a one-piece ... my 5yr-old could do that).

If ya want an automatic, then that's what ya want. But FWIW, ya can get a purdy nice bolt-action for $500 - $700 that'll probly be very accurate right outta the box ... and extremely easy to clean. Also, particularly if you go with a short-action, ya can still work the bolt purdy quick ... without takin it off your shoulder ... or your cheek off the stock. No, not as fast as an automatic ... but still purdy fast.

I've seen most, if not all these automatics at any and every of the larger stores that sell bolt-actions and leverguns. I just saw some at Gouger Mtn the other day.

Thanks for that reply sigosaur, very informative. I will look into the short action bolt, didnt know there was an option like that out there. I obviously am looking at having a gun that I dont have to take my cheek off the stock, since I have been burned once before (different story) and was looking to avoid this problem again.

I will shoot 5 times at a monster buck when it is trotting across an open field, if thats what it takes. I feel my aim is pretty good, but being able to shoot 5 times vs 2-3 would make the difference. Thanks, I will look into the HSOforum, didnt know about that either.

Thanks for that reply sigosaur, very informative. I will look into the short action bolt, didnt know there was an option like that out there. I obviously am looking at having a gun that I dont have to take my cheek off the stock, since I have been burned once before (different story) and was looking to avoid this problem again.

I will shoot 5 times at a monster buck when it is trotting across an open field, if thats what it takes. I feel my aim is pretty good, but being able to shoot 5 times vs 2-3 would make the difference. Thanks, I will look into the HSOforum, didnt know about that either.

if 5rd vs. 3rd is important, in a bolt-action, ya'll want one with a "removable box magazine" ... rather than a simple "hinged floorplate" ... that way, you can chamber a round, and then top off the mag ... usually 3rd - 4rd ... +1.

Ya'll also want something with a smooth bolt, for that faster style of shooting ... of the ones I've checked more thoroughly, the Tikka had the smoothest bolt. A-bolt's not too bad ... I think they're being discontinued, in favor of the new X-bolts ... which I haven't checked out, at all. I've also got a very smooth Winchester 70 ... but I don't know that that's common.

Oh ya, if it's not a "controlled-feed" gun like the newer Winchester 70's or newer Ruger 77's, ya'll need to make sure, when shooting fast, you ALWAYS retract the bolt FULLY rearward, otherwise, you could get a "double-feed" jam. Having said that, while it's not a "controlled-feed" rifle, I still think a Tikka would be superb for this.

I should also mention, ALL Tikka's, regardless of caliber, are NOT short-action ... however, in attempting the aforementioned style of shooting, I've never had the bolt make contact with my face.

Of course, simply try it, in the store ... several times ... to make sure it'll work for YOU.

the problem with all the semi autos that you see at the shops are the ones people did not take care of and where having internal issues with them. most of the people that get rid of their semi auto end up with a bolt action. for short action bolts look at something that is a .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, .243WSSM, .25WSSM, .270WSM, .300WSM

I am also getting a semi auto and have done a ton of research and every gun shop or person I have talked to have all said the same the browning bar safari is the way to go it has been around forever and very reliable. In a 30-06 it sells for about $1,000 without the boss system and $1,150 with it (cabelas was cheapest I found. I was told to stay away from long and short tracks they have had some problems they look nicer and a little lighter (easier to walk with but more recoil when shot) but dont shoot as well. Good luck