• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help finding a spot...

Laska

Ok, Im stuck fishing my area lake, Lake Winona, and there are huge northerns caught in this lake every year in every season.

There is drop off weed beds, flat gravel bays, deep holes up to about 42ft, I picked a spot today in about 18fow, at the edge of a weed bed, that extended all the way to the bottom then turned to sand... I had no luck clarity is about 7fow.

Now I scouted for tomorrow, gradual decline in depth, about 9fow with weeds on the bottom coming up 3 or 4ft, Im roughly 15yrds max from a nice drop off, now is this a key spot? Normally the lakes I spear have points so its easier to pick a spot but this is a tough lake, any help would be great... Lakefinder on the dnr site is Lake winona, Winona county, any help would be awsome, I just heard of a report guys were catching nords on tip ups but they wouldnt say where... go figure...

Thanks guys!

Im thinking like a pike tomorrow, alot of panfish are in the shallows on this lake this time of year so idk, If I cant get the figured out, Elwood your going to have a new neighbor smile j/k but I hope to find a spot on this lake so I dont have to travel so far all the time, even tho I love the memories made on long trips and pike speared...

Is spearing over weeds ok? Im thinkin this spot I picked should work tomorrow... guess we'll have to see, Im thinking of going shallower if this spot doesnt work, I might try finding a flat next to some weeds and drop down some realweeds... who knows...

when u say inside turns can u explain that a little better the only point on this lake is a baron wasteland of no fish period... There is deep water pretty much any place I go, right next to shallow water...

Only going off this map which does not show vegetation or other structure only depths.

Here are some of the first places I would check out in no particular order.

#12 - nice hump with deep water on both sides ++

#8 - is an inside corner. It may be better to find closer inside corners like the one close to #7

#2 - nice drop off to deep water no inside turn here but it may be a real good spot especially if there is more structure around here.

#5 - Nice drop off with deep water close by.

#6 or #7 between deep water and shallow would look for some weed edges here too. It is also nice that the channel is here too. Make sure the ice is good here if there is any current.

#10 - may be good if you can get right on the edge of the weeds many times the flats are better at the beginning and near the end of the season.

Many other spots that would be good to check out too.

Any one else have some comments?

That's awsome work merk thx, now this side is the side I saw a 40+ pike the first time out too bad water clarity for this side is 2ft, the other side is the clear side which what I wanted to try merk did u get a chance to look at the other side?

Okay thx for the help merk! Much appriciated! Remember the right bottom bay on the map is baron no life or fish the drop off by that bay produced nothing no even a single fish, south shorline is all submerged veg bout 3ft high

this is good stuff for a new guy to know...just to bad it's not a lake near me frown

but you guys went over good points to where i can put to use on the lakes i'm lookin to spear.

i'm wondering, u guys see em more coming up from the depths on an inside turn more than just roaming around the weedy flats?

i'm wondering, u guys see em more coming up from the depths on an inside turn more than just roaming around the weedy flats?

They had to get to the flats some way.

You have to find the "expressways" that most fish use to travel in.

Much like commuters going to work everyday. You want to find the freeways. Not the city streets.

Also look for the good "hunting grounds" where they could ambush a fish.

Lotsa places to the right of the map.

My #1 pick here would be #18 but I bet there are a few perms parked on that spot. wink

No perms out yet, the map has changed from that one since they dredged the lake 3years back, that #18 is still there its a hump that goes from 30 to 15 then back, most guys post up on the other side now away from all the highlights, water clarity is only 6 or 7ft right now but it will clear up soon, I'm thinkin of tryin spot 4 its a beach drop off to a weed edge from sand, the 40ft hole is by spot 2 and a lot of crappies n perch are caught there, by the bottom bay there is a drop off to 22ft now weeds all the way down... Thx for the help merk! You should come down anytime you want n we can see what we can do about getting some HOGGS! 42" was caught last year n more 20+ lbers all the years before that, your more than welcome to spend the night at my place if ya want, bring elwood too!