• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are the crappies doing this time of year?

south_metro_fish

how do the crappies act this time of year? Where do they hang out during the day and where do they move as it gets dark? I managed to catch a couple during the day in about 5 feet of water on the weed line but I have not fished them at this time of year before. What kind of structure do they hang around this time of year besides the weeds? Do they hang around break lines, do they like to stay in bays, do they hang out around holes?

Check out the deeper water near those weedy flats. There will usually be larger numbers cruising the open water and some will move up to the weed edge during the evening. A few will stay up shallow all the time.

I was out tonight and found them in a bay in about 14 feet and they where hitting at all levels from a foot off the bottom all the way up to a couple feet from the top. They sure were being finicky tonight though, I got a couple on demons, a couple on plain red hook, and a couple on a buckshot dropper rig. I think that front moving through early must have slowed them down tonight.

It depends where you fish. Some lakes they are in shallower this time of the year, or they can be as deeps as 40'. I like to start out in the deep holes.

I typically fish smaller lakes with the deepest holes Maxing out around 40 feet. I typically start at the holes as well and work my way shallower. Currently I am finding crappies suspended over 30 fow. It does however totally depend on the lake. One thing to make sure you do is be prepared to move... move... move...

CA