• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suburban wildlife

I've been wishing I could get out and use my camera lately, but have been busy with holiday preparations and activities, it's been cold, blah, blah, blah! frown Besides, here in the metro area, it's hard to stop on the side of the freeway when you see a hawk in a tree or turkeys or deer in a field!

Yesterday, on the way home from the grocery store I saw this gang of turkeys just behind a row of trees, went home and got my camera and then tromped through a foot of snow in the ditch to get a few images before they headed into the trees. I'm sure it was entertaining for anyone driving by smile Not great pictures, but better than nothing, and I've never seen this many turkeys at one time before, I think there were 23 or 24. There were a half dozen pheasants just down the road as well, but they were gone before I could get back there. And a question for you turkey guys - are these all young? I didn't see any beards or waddles (whatever they're called!) on any of these.

Having lunch -

IMG_1718-1.jpg

Getting nervous -

IMG_1742.jpg

Outta here!

IMG_1759_2.jpg

And what are they doing out there with nothing on their wittle heads? I love the mental picture of you slogging through a foot of snow as traffic rushes by. But I have always found these guys to be really skittish. I'm surprised you got what you did. And there's nothing wrong with these photos. I like the feather detail of the second and the oof pine tree in the bg.

Hey, I'm a turkey. (guy) grin

Yes, these are all hens and their young of the year hens. (born early this summer) Most of the young toms (males) are in bachelor groups now.

I'm from Oakdale too and have probably seen these birds. Where exactly were they? Looks like the same spot I took this photo early this fall.

DSC02333.jpg

Thanks Sarah and Don -

Sarah, not only was I slogging thru the ditch, I was hiding behind 6 ft pine trees as well. The feather color is what always amazes me with these guys.

Don, these guys are on 15th street just west of County Rd 13 - we've often seen a half dozen or so in this area, but this was by far the biggest group I've seen. Thanks for the info too - I always learn a little something here!