• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats a good indoor lens

Neither of my lenses are IS, I really don't have a good indoor lens that can be used without flash, most of the time.

Any recomendations on a decent lens that isn't going to break the bank, for use on a 50D Cannon.

I kind of wish I would have spent the extra money on the IS version of my 70-200 F/4

Last summer I played around with the 85 mm 1.8 and really liked the lens but the 85mm seemed a little long for casual indoor around the house shots.

The 18-270 is a lens on my list for down the road. I want to get my "good" lenses first and get the convenient travel lens later. The reason I bought a DSLR was for the IQ so, despite the appeal of the 18-270, its going to have to wait.

If you liked the 85 1.8, I think you will be very disappointed with the difficulty the 18-270 will have indoors without a flash. If the 85 1.8 was too long, try the 50 1.8 or the 50 1.4 depending on your budget. If that is still too long, try a 35mm prime. The fast primes are the only ticket for indoor photography without a flash.

Now that you changed the title of the thread, my first post doesnt make much sense any more. smile

Since you have crop body check out a few of the fast primes in the 30-85mm range and see what speed and focal length you like best.

Also, a good flash beats a prime any day of the week - if you are allowed to use it. Your depth of field can be razor thin at f1.4 and if any of your subjects are even slightly in front of or behind (Im talking inches) what your camera focused on, they will be out of focus.

With practice, an off camera flash like the 430 or 580 can be used without getting that ugly "flash look".

I would agree with finnbay, the 50/1.8 because of the price is a no brainer! Not much of an investment and you can see how much of this type of shooting you will do. The mistake I often see is rushing into lens or flash purchases without actually knowing how they will be used. Start out with a lens like the 50/1.8, use it for a while and you will start to see limitations and strengths of various focal lengths in the environment you use them.

How many folks, including yourself with the 70-200/4 latter "wished" they had purchased something different? That is one reason buy and sell boards are so active! I shot for almost 25 years only using a simple flash which rarely got used. As my shooting style changed I now can't imagine not having a handful of lights and triggers to drag around! I am not advocating waiting 25 years to make a decision but use your equipment a while and see how many times you say, "wow, I could have used___________" in this situation. I rarely ever sell a lens or any piece of photo equipment, by the time I get around to buying one its value has already been proven to me.

I hope this helps, and good luck!