• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to start?

This year I finally have time to make it out to Devils Lake. I have never fished the lake before and from viewing maps, I have no idea where to start. I am not looking for specific spots or anything, just general locations. I will be going after Perch and Pike for the most part and I will be heading out there in Late January. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As many posts will state as you read from now until the end of January, there are miles and miles of shoreline with flooded trees on Devils Lake (doesn't usually matter where on the lake you are) that hold fish (specifically walleye, perch & pike). You frequently will catch a mix of the 3 if you find a good spot in the trees. By the way, just because you are in the trees don't assume you are necessarily shallow. There will be times where you are dug back half way between the trees and the shoreline and you are sitting over 10-12 feet of water. Those are the types of locations in the trees (with 8-12 feet of water) that seem to be best in my experience, regardless of the time of year.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the tip. I will for sure be reading everything on this forum until I get to head out there. I am really excited! I can't wait to experience ice fishing on Devils Lake. If the fishing is as good as the duck hunting in that area, I will for sure be hooked for life. Thanks again.

Devils Lake is just like any other lake: sometimes it's great, sometimes it ain't. The best thing to do is stop by the local bait shop and ask for advice. Normally they'll point you in the right direction. Then it's about being mobile and drill, drill, drill. Don't settle for one tactic, either. Try everything in your box until something works. Early in the season the best bite is shallow. Try bays, points and the flooded timber. Then, as the winter goes on, the fish migrate deaper. Humps, sunken islands and flooded roads are good bets. As a last-ditch effort, try the deeper parts of the lake (30+ feet). I hate fishing that deep because you pretty much have to keep what you catch, but during the deepest, darkest depths of winter, sometimes that's the only place to find fish.

Good luck!

Last summer it was good. We caught several limits of walleyes during the early part of June from shore. Then it petered off and you had to work a little harder. Once the algae gets on the lake I refuse to fish it until winter. The lake is always growing, which means there's more places to fish now then there ever has been. And the lake is very fertile, meaning there always is a bumper crop of shrimp. With all the food there's plenty of fish, but like I said, they're not always easy to come by. When you find them, though, you'll know it smile