• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

thoughts on a trailer deal?

Dahitman44

I would like to upgrade to a 4-place trailer. A guy I know has a FLOEand it is a '99. It is is great shape and has been inside most of its life. He said he paid $2,800 new in 1999. I was thinking it should be worth ... $1500? $1800? any thoughts?

I have the same age 2 place featherlite and he said he would trade me for $700 to $900 ish to boot.

I think mine with the salt shield (alum.) and the ski guides and rubber trailer saver is worth $750 - $900 ish?

Any thoughts? I have been researching but hard to compare apples to apples.

If you have a thought - -please offer it. Thanks

Hit

I'll backup his price claim, we bought a 4 place Floe in Jan. 2000, upgraded the tires and I think the total came to just under $3000, the next year we added drive off salt shields / ramps for $400, best investment we have ever made buying a bigger trailer like that, great trailers.

If he's willing to trade for 7 - 900 to boot, I wouldn't think twice, thats sounds pretty good to me, lots of people looking for trailers like that, you don't see them last long when they come up for sale.

Mike

A few years ago my brother bought a 2 place Floe with 2 tie downs and that was it no other extras, I think he paid somewhere near $600 for that at the time and that was before the price of these trailers went higher because of aluminum prices.

If it is in good shape I'd say you're in the ball park with the extras you have installed, I've been keeping my eyes open for something to haul my lawnmower around on and I know the 2 place aluminums hold their price well.

Mike

Yeah - -have to sell my buddy the dentist the trailer - -he is buying my 79 340 too.

so I can buy a Tritan hold over with brakes for 3,300

or the 10 year old one w/o brakes for 2,200 I guess since I am NOT selling my 2 place to him.

Do I buy the 10-year old FLOE on for 2200 or the two year old holder triton for 3300.

I think the triton will be worth 2000 in 10 years but the one that will be 20 years old? $700?

thoughts?

No brakes on the Floe? I would double check that.

Our's has surge brakes, a drum brake on each wheel, it's a tandem ax trailer, I don't know if that was Floe's idea or if it was some state law that a person ended up with a brake on each wheel.

I've had to replace the drum brakes themselves because of the salt, grime and stuff but you can get replacements right from Northern Tool for a Floe trailer, something like $50 per wheel, we capped the lines going to the rear axle and only have brakes on the front axle now.

You will want brakes on a 4 place, you get it loaded up and it can push you pretty good if you're on icy conditions.

Mike

I would say it is the smarter deal.

I would still double check and see if that Floe does have brakes or not though, if it does and they just didn't take the time to get them working again, maybe they will lower the price some.

Mike