• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake Update

Fishing has indeed been a little better. Its not all "viscous rumors" It would be a stretch to say the bite is hot but we got twenty or so perch yesterday. They are still scattered and hard to trigger. I've heard that some fellows who brought in centipedes for bait had some success. Walleyes and northerns are easier to find and hook up. Since I indirectly admitted to the wherabouts of my fish house on the Minnewaukan Flats quite a little city has developed on weekends around me. I'm usually somewhere else but some of my customers went out there and filled a bathtub with northerns. Walleyes have been found right in the trees around sunset (probably sunrise too but I'm not much of an early bird.) Some folks ask about snow cover and ice conditions. Most areas are accessible with four wheel drive trucks (two wheel drive if you are following and or stay on well driven paths. If you are exploring watch out for drifts and pressure ridges. Give bridges and culverts a wide space and don't drive right up to the trees. Common sense prevails. Ice is close to the end of auger depth but I haven't needed an extension.
Someone asked about northerns. We're loaded with them. If you find them (or they find you) they'll hit on nearly anything and put up a whale of a fight. I release almost all my fish but I kept one last week and tonight will be my third meal from its sides. We'll gladly show you how to remove the y-bones when you're here. Its really an easy trick. Roll em in flour, fry em in butter or batter them and pop em in a deep fryer and you've got a tasty treat. Sometimes you even find a ready to fillet perch in a northerns gullet.

------------------
theChaser

Thanks Steve,

Some day I hope to get out your way to snag some Perch in the winter. It is too far for a weekend for me so I have to wait until I get more vacation built up at work. (It will be a couple of more years) In the meantime I will continue to hit Lake of the Woods for my winter fun. It is about 3 hours closer.

I take 2 trips to Devils Lake every fall to hunt ducks and I always dream about coming back to do some icefishing.

One of these days I will get around to some "Soft Water Fishing" during duck season. It sure is nice to read a little about your "great backyard" even though I cannot make it there for now.

Thanks again,

Duckslayer

P.S. Is there much snow out there or do you think you will have a dry spring? Just wondering what the "State of the Pot Holes" will be. Thanks again.....

Do you think it may be a early March perch feast this year? I have had my best trips in early to mid March on past years like this one.

Has the timber been the best for walleye? Can you get large count containers of Eurolarva anywear in DL, an reasonably priced?

Thank's

BE...><,,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 02-14-2001).]

Everyone I talk to in western MN has been sayin' fishing has been slow out on Devils.
I look forward to a trip there pretty quick, but I'm hesitant to go unless I here some more encouraging reports. What's going on out there?

I know the fishing's been tough, but it sure would be nice to get some more frequent info. from you guys on Devil's Lake. Yes, I saw the referral to Fishingbuddy, but I don't spend too much time there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to crack on Fishingbuddy, but I think there's a whole lot of complete fabrication there and I have a tough time weeding through a lot of talk.

I just returned from DL and caught some sumo piggy perch. Not 100's but they ran very big. I caught 2 right on the 2 lb. mark and a few closer to 1 3/4, most ran 1 1/2.

A few groups of anglers managed a bucket full but you needed to hunt to find them.

I did my best off the sand point area of Black Tiger Bay, the Hay Bail Bay mouth area was best on Sunday.

Buckshot jig's or Rattle Snakie jigs tiped with magie's or minnow heads were the best. More #'s of fish were caught on maggies but the biggest perch I caught were on minnow heads.

Some big walleye were taken off the Rocky Point just North of Creel Bay up in the tree's at dusk Saterday nite. Two were over 9 lbs. None were mine, next time maybe?

Been a long day need some sleep....><,,>

BE....><,,>