• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Built a dog crate

SapperACE

All it took was 5 2x4's, 2 sheets of 1/2" CDX plywood, and about 3 hours. It's 4' long by 2' foot tall by 36" deep. I figure, with hardware, this box was around $60 to build. Just a couple coats of paint, and it will be done!

I have also built a single kennel like this, which was the inspiration for this one. My bro and I figured out the measurements and only used 1 sheet of ply to build the single one (24"x24"x36"). This double is like 2 of those side by side.

DSC00116.jpgDSC00117.jpgDSC00118.jpgDSC00119.jpg

I was just going to start making one of these, and it was going to be very similar to yours, but one recommendation to you is, to double the thickness of your doors, the dogs will chew right threw one layer in no time ( depending on your dogs).

Nice work. I got one my buddy cobbled together but he doesn't have room for it before he moves. Kinda heavy but my dog was happy staying in it yesterday while I was working. Took her for a walk during lunch, finished up work, and we hit some fields on the way home.

Yes it fits perfectly in the back of my pickup. It does take 2 guys to put it in the truck, but I can get it out by myself (probably in too) with a couple 2x4 to slide it down.

It seems little warmer for the dog than any plastic crate, even with a jacket on it. It stays in place really nice too. It is just a really nice crate.

IMPORTANT-PLEASE READ. Unless you add MORE VENTILATION

holes/screens/mesh to this crate, it could be a death trap. I know this from personal experience, a hard lesson learned with my first Lab 30 years ago. The crate I built was almost identical to yours as near as I can tell from the pictures. My dog died in this crate after an afternoon of pheasant hunting. The outside temp was in the upper 50's to low 60's, the dog was heated up from working and it's body heat was trapped inside the box with him. The crate was in the back of my pickup under an alumninum topper, so there was no breeze hitting the crate. The temperature under the topper and outside was not the problem, the problem was his own body heat could not dispate while in this crate. Wood is a good insulator compared to plastic or metal like manufactured crates. It will work fine of you add some large openings to the back and the divider, and I'd remove the hinged covers so the sides are always open, (plus I'd make them larger to be safe). You could cover these openings with hardware cloth, wire mesh, or expanded metal (this is best and most durable). If it would work for you, some openings in the top would be good too. The more ventilation the better. This is a nice crate that looks like it will work fine, just don't want to see anyone loose their dog like I did.