• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beeper collar

Sutty

I will have my first pointer in the next year. I bought a beeper collar for my last dog (choc lab) after she became deaf so I wouldn't lose her in the field. Anyway my long winded question is should I start training my Brittany to get used to it and if so at what age. And the thing seems super loud to me and I would think to a dog it would be freakin super loud and would it harm the dogs hearing over time? I know it would get conditioned to ignore it while in the field.

I started using the beeper collar on my britt at about 6-7 months old. just had it sitting out for a while and would beep it while he was around, but not near it so it wouldn't scare him. Then I put in on him and jsut let him get used to wearing it. Then I gradually started beeping it. I use it only when the grass is so tall I can't ever see him. Other than that I usually keep the beep off. i also use the beep as sort of a page function.

It won't take the dog long to get used to, I started when I first put the collar on. I worried it would distract him from his points, but they point so intense it won't bother them. I stuffed a cotton ball in mine. Watch the duct tape because mine has a motion sensor to signal the dog's point. I started with duct tape but think it was covering the motion sensor (just a theory with absolutely no science to back it up). Good luck and welcome to the world of pointers!